Hitting repeaters

WRUT470

Currently I only have a HT. I can’t hit the repeater closest to me from my home. I have no issues making contact once I get in range. I will eventually be getting a base & mobile set up. I’m looking at the KG-1000. Will a radio such as that get me to that repeater? Also, someone mentioned to join zello. Can someone please explain that? 

Thanks in advance!

The antenna matters as much, if not more than the radio - so the KG-1000G MIGHT get you to the repeater with the right antenna.. and your HT MIGHT also..
It is also possible that from your home NEITHER will hit the repeater - because what is between you and the repeater is the most important factor.. If there is a mountain, a forrest, hills, etc, then you will never hit it.

Zello is a voice-chat app that some people use to connect repeaters to, allowing you to talk on a repeater from your phone, using the Zello app.  You can read (a lot) more about it here on the this webpage explaining how to use Zello with my repeater: https://www.notarubicon.com/zello-gmrs-repeater/

I use a Wouxun kg-935g (ht) connected to an Ed Fong GMRS antenna and I can hit a repeater 43 miles away. Remember that UHF works better in the evening to morning hours. You might be able to get into the repeater during that time. 

Notarubicon is an awesome resource to learn from. He's hilarious as well. I'd recommend watching his YouTube videos. 

How far away is it? 

Can you receive transmissions from the repeater?

What's the terrain like between you and the repeater?

I've got one that's 22-23 miles away from me I have no trouble hitting it with an ht however the antenna for the repeater is 300ft in the air and I live on one of the highest spots in my area. Everything east and west of me goes down hill. My buddy that lives a mile and a half south east of me. You cant hit that same repeater from his house with an HT unless you have the antenna on a mast about 30ft-40ft up. I have line of sight to it from my house, well at least according to This line of sight tool, but he doesnt according to the tool. And it seems fairly accurate since if we tell it the antenna is 30ft up at his location it says we have line of sight and when we put an antenna up on a 30ft mast we can hit the repeater with a ht. 

A lot of things play into what you can or cant hit. Height of the repeater antenna, height of your antenna, terrain between you and the repeater power of the radio to an extent, weather and atmospheric conditions this list goes on.

I've been picking up a repeater someplace in northern Indiana(based on info from the convos) on the 675 frequency on and off all day today even recognized some of the voices and call signs from hearing them over the linked system and know they are Indiana folks.  None of the other repeaters near me on that frequency are on the linked system and generally have no traffic. I only mention it it because its radio, strange stuff happens sometimes. Some times its annoying  sometimes it's pretty darn cool. 

I’m about 10 miles from it. I can hear them talking but they can’t hear me until I get closer. No mountains but we are populated.Lots of houses between. I’m going to look into a good antenna for my base station. I rather not have it on the roof but mounted in my attic. I know it will be better on the roof but no way am I attempting that! 

Thanks again to everyone for all the information posted…much appreciated!

i have no problems hitting repeaters 20 miles line of sight with HT's.   I've hit my repeater from Whitney Portals with my mobile and that was about a 55 mile line of sight shot.   Like OffRoader says,  obstructions will pretty much void out line-of-sight communications, which UHF relies on..    

Hi WRUT470,

I liked your idea of getting a better antenna for your HT!  It's likely the most cost effective solution.

There's this post on mygrms.com that shows off a nice portable antenna:

Also the "Nagoya UT-72G High Gain Magnet Mount GMRS & MURS Antenna (462-467 & 151-155 MHz)" looks like a good cost effective antenna for mobile use.

If you decide to go with the external antenna for your HT to improve performance, we'd really enjoy hearing your results / reviews here.  Even if you're not successful, that's a great learning experience for us all looking or building antennas to improve our HT performance!

-Mark / WRTQ652