Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 169 posts
  • LocationNW Florida
  • GMRS Callsign:WQQI726
  • Ham Callsign:K4TTL

Posted 28 June 2013 - 08:50 AM

I was hoping for something that could operate in the 134-147 and 350-520 or 400-480. This way I could use the same radio for 2m HAM or 70cm HAM and GMRS.

Jeremy
K4TTL
WQQI726

#62 captdan

captdan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts
  • LocationOcala, Florida

Posted 28 June 2013 - 11:54 PM

So a question .... I am also a newbie and was thinking about one of the icom radios for my mobile.  Is there a reason I should consider one more than the other ?  Do I need a radio with more than 8 channels ? Could I program low power for when in camp and peole are using frs portables ?

Dan

#63 PastorGary

PastorGary

Senior Tropical Weather Analyst, TSRC, Gulf Shores, Alabama

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 1471 posts

Posted 29 June 2013 - 06:20 AM

Dan - Thanks for posting here in the Forum and Welcome...

We'll have to wait for persons with ICOM experience to chime in on your question.  There are no ICOM dealers in either of my primary residential locations, so I personally have no experience with them at all. Our Forum traffic is a little less on weekends, so be patient and someone with that info will reply to your questions as their time permits...

#64 captdan

captdan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts
  • LocationOcala, Florida

Posted 30 June 2013 - 11:21 AM

Dan - Thanks for posting here in the Forum and Welcome...

We'll have to wait for persons with ICOM experience to chime in on your question.  There are no ICOM dealers in either of my primary residential locations, so I personally have no experience with them at all. Our Forum traffic is a little less on weekends, so be patient and someone with that info will reply to your questions as their time permits...

Thank you Pastor Gary.  I can wait, I am in no hurry, just getting ready for my move to Florida.

Dan

WQRN707

#65 JohnE

JohnE

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 576 posts
  • Locationthe Empire State

Posted 30 June 2013 - 07:56 PM

So a question .... I am also a newbie and was thinking about one of the icom radios for my mobile.  Is there a reason I should consider one more than the other ?  Do I need a radio with more than 8 channels ? Could I program low power for when in camp and peole are using frs portables ?

Dan

what do you plan on doing w/radio? are you going to be using multiple repeaters, frs freq's and so on.

determine you needs and possible expansion before you decide on a radio most anything you buy will have hi/lo settings in the code plug itself or front buttons.

Powered by Kenwood, Motorola, EF Johnson,Cresend  Milcom and Henry

#66 Logan5

Logan5

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 734 posts
  • LocationFort Lauderdale Florida
  • GMRS Callsign:WQQT630
  • Ham Callsign:KK4PRC

Posted 02 July 2013 - 09:05 AM

Thank you Pastor Gary.  I can wait, I am in no hurry, just getting ready for my move to Florida.

Dan

WQRN707

Hey Dan, What part of Florida?

#67 captdan

captdan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts
  • LocationOcala, Florida

Posted 02 July 2013 - 04:59 PM

out the woods between Dunnellon and Crystal River.  Bought the property - working on selling NJ property as I also work on building a home on the property in Florida.

Dan

#68 Logan5

Logan5

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 734 posts
  • LocationFort Lauderdale Florida
  • GMRS Callsign:WQQT630
  • Ham Callsign:KK4PRC

Posted 03 July 2013 - 10:31 AM

Very nice, We will be up in that neck over the next week. unfortunately my mobile repeater rig is still in repair. but I see a few GMRS repeaters in the area. we are also planning Orlando to hit SkyCraft Surplus and then head back to Fort Lauderdale. 

#69 captdan

captdan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts
  • LocationOcala, Florida

Posted 04 July 2013 - 01:39 AM

I'll be back down in a couple of weeks, have to coordinate all the stuff required to be able to build a house down there at same time coordinate selling house here.

Still trying to decide what type mobile unit I want to buy, guess i will know it when I come across it.

Dan

#70 MSensei

MSensei

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts
  • LocationPerkasie, PA
  • GMRS Callsign:WQRV688
  • Ham Callsign:W3SEN

Posted 03 August 2013 - 08:27 PM

Hello all!

Just received my GMRS license yesterday for compliance purposes in using my FRS/GMRS Uniden Radios which I am very quickly finding out are good for radio-to-radio comm, but not really for use with repeaters.  I am familiar with HAM radio operations but just haven't bitten the bullet to take the test.  My father-in-law is a HAM and has been for several years.

Anyway, trying to get a friend intersted in GMRS (as a stepping stone to HAM), recommendation on some good handheld units for a decent price?

-David

NOTE: I did receive a signal from about 20-25 miles away on my radio, but am not sure if my broadcast was received - the documentation for the radios I have does not describe the broadcast output for the device.

-David

#71 JeremyM

JeremyM

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 169 posts
  • LocationNW Florida
  • GMRS Callsign:WQQI726
  • Ham Callsign:K4TTL

Posted 03 August 2013 - 08:33 PM

Welcome to the forums! The Baofeng are good inexpensive units. Wouxun would be a step up from those and rival the big three. Welcome to GMRS!
  • Logan5 likes this

Jeremy
K4TTL
WQQI726

#72 PastorGary

PastorGary

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 1471 posts

Posted 04 August 2013 - 06:04 AM

Hello all!

Just received my GMRS license yesterday for compliance purposes in using my FRS/GMRS Uniden Radios which I am very quickly finding out are good for radio-to-radio comm, but not really for use with repeaters.  I am familiar with HAM radio operations but just haven't bitten the bullet to take the test.  My father-in-law is a HAM and has been for several years.

Anyway, trying to get a friend intersted in GMRS (as a stepping stone to HAM), recommendation on some good handheld units for a decent price?

-David

NOTE: I did receive a signal from about 20-25 miles away on my radio, but am not sure if my broadcast was received - the documentation for the radios I have does not describe the broadcast output for the device.

Hello, David and Welcome...

If you live in the valley near the river, you already know about the high ridge lines to your northwest and southeast which can limit communications in those directions. What model of Uniden radios did you purchase?  Perhaps members here have experience with the same type and can give you some pointers.  Jeremy's suggestions are sound. You can also look at many Kenwood commercial models that are type accepted for Part 90 and Part 95 operations.  Commercial used equipment is available these days in good quantities and at fair prices because of all the late 2012 updating on systems throughout the US to narrowband.  Many radios that were wideband only on commercial frequencies in 2012 are STILL OK to go for GMRS and Ham operations.

Keep us posted and if you have any questions, please let us know.

:)

#73 Guest_spd641_*

Guest_spd641_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 August 2013 - 10:28 AM

Hello all!

-David

Congrats on getting your license,I noticed you received a signal 20-25 miles away.I doubt with those radios anyone will hear you over a few mile range unless they are on a base unit in the clear.The range claims on those radios are marketing hypes to sell radios.

I would recommend a good pair of part 95 certified radios such as ICOM F21 which you will run across on eBay from time to time along with programming software and cables.

Enjoy GMRS as it is a good radio service where you and the family can get a great deal of use without spending a whole lot of money unless you go full blown buying your own repeater and other high dollar accessories.

In the repeater section of mygrms.com there may be a repeater in your area,it will be up to you to you to contact the repeater owner about using their system and if it is a open system the owner may welcome you to use it,on another note also if you do find a repeater to use I am sure the owner wouldn't mind you donating a few dollars to help with upkeep.

In case you find a radio shop or someone offering to sell you air time on thier repeater system please let us know as it is illegal to sell airtime for profit on GMRS but donations are always welcome but a paid service is not.

Enjoy your radios...William

• Logan5 likes this

#74 Billy

Billy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 136 posts
  • LocationLong Island
  • GMRS Callsign:Ask Me
  • Ham Callsign:Ask Me

Posted 04 August 2013 - 12:19 PM

A radio like the Icom 6021 makes a very nice a very nice base or mobile, has 128 channels and is only a few dollars more than the 8 channel 6011.   A full 45 watts and very nice audio.  I use one in my car.   I like the additional channels as the frequency split is 400-470 mhz and I have all the ham repeaters and simplex channels programmed in as well as the GMRS.  Just make sure if you get one you get the 400-470 mhz version, their are a few other frequency split options.   Software and cable was about $30, not a big expense and very easy to program.  Power supply if used as the base will have to be 12+ amps as it does draw a bit.  Good luck!

#75 Billy

Billy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 136 posts
  • LocationLong Island

Posted 04 August 2013 - 12:26 PM

Also as handhelds don't discount the Ritron Patriot RTX-450's available surplus.  A little big by todays standards but a full five watt output, Part 95 compliant and have great audio.  I have a bunch of them, some new in the box, and use them frequently on a local repeater and get great signal and audio reports.   I have sold a few to local guys because they like them so much.   High Capacity batteries are still available.   They do require proprietary software to program but if you go that route reach out to me I the software for them. 

• Logan5 likes this

#76 MSensei

MSensei

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts
  • LocationPerkasie, PA
  • GMRS Callsign:WQRV688
  • Ham Callsign:W3SEN

Posted 05 August 2013 - 01:00 PM

Hi all!

Thanks for the great and warm responses everyone!

I have not yet tested out the full range of these devices, but I am not expecting much from them.  The specific Uniden devices I purchased are Uniden GMR 30 Mile 22 Channel FRS/GMRS Two-Way Radios with Charging Kit (3040).  As far as using repeaters, these devices are only going to work with a Simplex repeater - they do not have the programming capability to support Duplex. 

Any future device I get for personal use will need to support 2 meter and 440 (which should GMRS as they usually run 400-480Mhz).  These 2 little things I will either keep for the purpose I originally acquired them for (FRS communications for coordinating people and family comm.) or there is always eBay!  Probably the former.

As far as that signal I received the other day 20-25 miles away - it was actually coming from the north-northwest.  I am a little further up in elevation (not near the deep valley) and have a better chance of picking up some signals.

Any thoughts on BaoFeng hand-helds?

-David

#77 Billy

Billy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 136 posts
  • LocationLong Island

Posted 05 August 2013 - 02:55 PM

The Uniden model you speak of is limited to about 1/2 a watt of power, does not do repeater splits and has a non-detachable antenna.   The advertised distance on this radio is based on a point to point situation with an unobstructed path to each other.  Any other variable and the distance is dramatically reduced, but they are great point to point short distance radios for small events of neighborhood communication.  

The next logical step up from that is a good hand held designed for GMRS/UHF service that can accept an external antenna in about the 4 watt range.  This allows you to get that 4 watts elevated from the ground and use an antenna that may have a bit of gain to it.  This turns your hand held radio into a small base station and dramatically increases your simplex distance.   In buying such a piece I try to recommend FCC Part 95 compliant radios which is required by GMRS.   At the very least a good commerical radio with FCC Part 90 compliance.    Ham gear that was built specifically to operate on the Ham bands may technically work but is neither type accepted for GMRS nor is it compliant in it's function under the rules by the nature of face on the spot programming and other issues.  There is a whole discussion on this site regarding the Part 95 rules and compliance with GMRS.

The third step is a good base or mobile with at least 25 Watts, more is better but it is more about the antenna and its height that the total wattage.  Just remember as a general rule if you double you wattage you will increase you transmitting distance roughly 20% for every doubling.   But if you double your transmitting height you can easily more than double you distance.   Get the antenna up high first and than see how much power it takes.   My saying is that I would rather have 5 watts at 50 foot than 50 watts at five. 

One nice thing about GMRS gear currently is the cheap source of surplus radios on the market after the FCC narrowband mandate.  They left GMRS out of this and there is a slew of GMRS Type 95 type accepted equipment that can be had cheaply.  A comment on the Boafeng.  I have a few different models, the UV5R is one of them.  You cannot beat them for the price as a backup or throw away.   One thing that they will never do is hold a candle to one of my Icom or Ritron pieces of gear.  There is a list on this site as well that members have tried to identify GMRS Part 95 type accepted radios.  

Good Luck. 

#78 Jake313

Jake313

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
  • LocationAppleton, WI
  • GMRS Callsign:PM Me
  • Ham Callsign:PM Me

Posted 22 December 2013 - 09:15 PM

Hey Jeremy, 

I know this post is a little bit older, but just got my GMRS license and wanted to comment on the AT5888-UV. I got mine about 2 months ago and it's considered their "2nd" generation one. They made some improvements with the receive and I gotta say I am really happy with this unit. The receive is great. The stock audio on the radio is kind of tinny a bit but not horrible. I have an external speaker hooked up and it sounds amazing. It is pretty straight forward for entering in frequencies directly on the radio, but the programming software is really good and quick. Anyways just wanted put in a comment incase your were still thinking about this radio.

Jake

Jake 

WQTA313

Appleton 625 Repeater

#79 PastorGary

PastorGary

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 1471 posts

Posted 23 December 2013 - 06:47 AM

Hello, Jake and Welcome to the MyGMRS Forum... nice to have you join us here.

Actually, you and I (this time of the year ) are "neighbors" - I'm in Green Bay at the moment at our northern states Chapel Rectory.  Hope that the Green Bay Packers loss Sunday and the nearly 8 inches of new snow didn't put a damper on your day.

Your info for Jeremy is appreciated and I'm sure that he will be back here in the Forum real soon.

Thank you.

#80 Jake313

Jake313

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
  • LocationAppleton, WI
  • GMRS Callsign:PM Me
  • Ham Callsign:PM Me

Posted 23 December 2013 - 08:17 PM

Hi PastorGary. That's great! No I'm use to it. It's Wisconsin :). The pack has just had a bad year with these injuries. Will always be a fan no matter what.

I've been trying to reach the owner of the Edward repeater up here. Ild like to use it. If you know the owner could you pass my info along?

Jake 

WQTA313

Appleton 625 Repeater

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: New, equipment, repeater

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users