Wouxun KG-UV9G Pro setup

WRVD382

New to GMRS. On this radio (Wouxun KG-UV9G Pro) I have removed the cordless phones (SHTF) frequencies, and called it "MYAREA". Unlikely to get any action as most folks use cell phones. I put in GMRS repeater frequencies in with HAM, and local Police, Fire, and EMS. Mostly I scan and just listen. However I have received access from the local repeater operators to use them. Are there any other settings other than frequencies, CTCSS, or DCS tones that I need to be concerned with? Thanks.

Hey Jim, Welcome to GMRS and myGMRS!

I don't have the Wouxun KG-UV9G Pro, so until someone with experience jumps in:

Your question peaked my interest so I went to BetterSafeRadio's website to read about it and it sure looks like a sweet deal, especially as "upgraded" from UV9G to the "Pro" edition.

Your use of the term "cordless phones" has me a bit confused with regard to SHTF frequencies*, but no mind.

Looks like you are referring to one of these repeaters shown in this map:

Screen Shot 2022-11-09 at 10.25.41 PM.png

So, yes, all you need to know is the repeater frequency and on that channel in the programming and the tone that you need to use on transmit, to "open" up the repeater to hear you and retransmit your transmission.

Are you changing these settings manually or with a computer?

Here is a screenshot of setting up the SHG 550 repeater; note you must manually set the transmit frequency 5 MHz higher than the receive frequency.  I thought this would be automatic, but apparently not so.

I would not bother with receive tones for now, until you are sure that you are working the repeater properly.

UPDATE: *Looks like they include the 900 MHz band cordless phone band frequencies, too.

Screen Shot 2022-11-09 at 10.50.26 PM.png

I appreciate the response. I assumed the transmit and receive would be the same, but as you stated that is not the case. I am changing these frequencies on a PC.

I have set the B bank to scan the frequencies set to "MYAREA" formally known as cordless phones. Seemed kind of creepy to be doing that anyway, and it is unlikely that I would ever hear anyone using them. Can't say that I have seen anyone with a cordless phone in years. Someone feel free to correct me on this.

I will say that I was sold on the SHTF frequencies initially. However receiving any of these would be likely if I was near a area where they are in use. Also when you scan all the frequencies you likely are missing transmissions during the scanning process. The radio is top notch when it comes to performance compared to a Boateng UV-9G. Battery life is great, and the Wouxun programming software is decent. Maybe Chirp will have this model in the future. 

Again Thanks for your help.

I have the KG-UV9G Pro as radio as well. I wanted it for the SHTF frequencies, but many departments (police, fire, EMT, etc) have gone to digital so it won't receive those freqs as far as I can tell. Still a great radio and the native programming software seems to be decent.

Another place to search for frequencies local to you can be found here: https://www.radioreference.com/

The sheriff, police, and EMS are still analog for now in my county. I also purchased it for the SHTF frequencies. Saved the original programming file just in case. I do use Radio Reference, along with the search on the FCC site. My Baofengs are going to last longer as this is my new favorite radio. What is anyone's opinion on the best cheaper radio for GMRS?

Thanks,

2 hours ago, WRVD382 said:

What is anyone's opinion on the best cheaper radio for GMRS?

Many here like the Radioddity GM-30.  I purchased its clone, the Pofung P15UV on Amazon and had good experiences with it.  I ultimately gave it to my grandson after I purchased the clone TYT-UV88 Ham Radio which can be opened to allow GMRS as well.

3 hours ago, WRVD382 said:

One other thing while searching the FCC site. My county has a GMRS license? Not sure why they do. Any guess?

Grandfathered "business" usage from an age when the FCC allowed for business/government entities to apply for a license; 25+ years ago practically all GMRS repeaters were operated by businesses -- one could apply to the licensee and maybe (for $$) be permitted to use the repeater (many repeaters were multi-PL capable, and the operator could assign a CTCSS tone just for you and family members operating under your license -- while not revealing tones used by other users of the repeater).