Wouxun KG-1000G noob question

WRTP528

Question

I have two Wouxuns, a KG-905G and a KG-1000G base station. I am licensed and learning. When I try testing the radios using simplex, I can transmit on the 905G to the the 1000G, but when I try to transmit on the 1000G, the 905G does not pick it up. The red TX light goes on and the fan turns on, so I don't think it's an equipment issue on the 1000G. They can both receive transmissions on regular channels and local repeaters when I scan.

I have also confirmed that I can transmit from the 905G to another user from my car, but I don't have the 1000G in my car.

I know the 1000G can't transmit on low power channels, so I have tried testing on the local repeater -- no luck. Is there any other way to test the 1000G to see if it's functional? I'm sure the culprit is operator error.

Addendum: I have tried connecting both radios to my PC to program them. I have the Wouxun software for each model but I get a COM port error for them both. COM port configuration options are grayed out. The radios are powered on when I connect. The 1000G is set to remote programming. No matter what I do, my PC doesn't see the radios. I don't know if this makes any difference for basic signal testing between my two radios, but it sure is frustrating as I'm trying to understand if programmed tones prohibit me from transmitting on the 1000G somehow, while the 905G seems to be limited only by its power.

Thanks in advance for any insight provided.

5 answers to this question

5 minutes ago, WRTP528 said:

I have two Wouxuns, a KG-905G and a KG-1000G base station. I am licensed and learning. When I try testing the radios using simplex, I can transmit on the 905G to the the 1000G, but when I try to transmit on the 1000G, the 905G does not pick it up. The red TX light goes on and the fan turns on, so I don't think it's an equipment issue on the 1000G. They can both receive transmissions on regular channels and local repeaters when I scan.

I have also confirmed that I can transmit from the 905G to another user from my car, but I don't have the 1000G in my car.

I know the 1000G can't transmit on low power channels, so I have tried testing on the local repeater -- no luck. Is there any other way to test the 1000G to see if it's functional? I'm sure the culprit is operator error.

Addendum: I have tried connecting both radios to my PC to program them. I have the Wouxun software for each model but I get a COM port error for them both. COM port configuration options are grayed out. The radios are powered on when I connect. The 1000G is set to remote programming. No matter what I do, my PC doesn't see the radios. I don't know if this makes any difference for basic signal testing between my two radios, but it sure is frustrating as I'm trying to understand if programmed tones prohibit me from transmitting on the 1000G somehow, while the 905G seems to be limited only by its power.

I suspect the KG1000 is transmitting just fine but either the 905g is being swamped by the power (de-sensing) or that the 905G is listening on a different frequency and/or using a different tone. 
I suggest you clear out all receive tones first and make sure xmit and receive are all on the same frequency. 

10 hours ago, WRTP528 said:

The Windows driver for the USB programming cable/cables is probably not loaded or incorrect. 

See https://www.buytwowayradios.com/blog/2021/06/how-to-install-the-wouxun-programming-cable-and-driver.html

15 hours ago, WRTP528 said:

I have a few radios using similar programming software, and the port selection dialog comes up greyed out for them. I had to use the Windows Device Manager to locate the COM device in question, and then manually change the Windows assigned port # to match the one the programming software defaulted to. As a result, I have something like two or three different adapter cables for the radios all assigned to COM 1 -- meaning only one cable at a time can be connected to the computer.

Tones do nothing to prevent transmission... But mismatched tones can prevent /reception/! Tones are used to open the squelch on the receiving device.

However, if the transmitter is set for repeater, the receiver will not hear it -- they are on frequencies 5MHz apart. Both devices need to be set for simplex -- try channels 1-7 in the unified channel listing as they are simplex only with a 5W ERP limit (you may also want to ensure both radios are set to the same bandwidth; wide FM, not NFM).

I own several KG-1000Gs and love them. But I’ve never used a cable to program it. (Although I have for other radios.) Out was pretty easy to do it manually so I never bothered doing it the other way  

If it doesn’t work through the programming software, try importing the information through the face or mic. It is pretty easy to do and might give you an alternative to set the repeater information correctly. 

Just a thought in case you can’t get the connection to your computer program to work.