Wouxun KG-1000G plus repeater

CJinAK

Question

Not sure what is wrong.  Set up two Wouxun KG-1000G plus radios as a repeater.  I have entered 467.575 RPT-RX and CTCSS 74.4 in one and 462.575 RPT-TX and CTCSS 74.4 in the other and the data cable connecting the two of them together.  When using a handheld set to Channel 16 4 I will get a light on the transmit radio but nothing on the receive radio.  I have double triple checked all the settings and even tried another data cable to no avail. It seems to be an operator error issue to me as I am new to this.

20221208_103420.jpg

8 answers to this question

6 minutes ago, CJinAK said:

Not sure what is wrong.  Set up two Wouxun KG-1000G plus radios as a repeater.  I have entered 467.575 RPT-RX and CTCSS 74.4 in one and 462.575 RPT-TX and CTCSS 74.4 in the other and the data cable connecting the two of them together.  When using a handheld set to Channel 16 4 I will get a light on the transmit radio but nothing on the receive radio.  I have double triple checked all the settings and even tried another data cable to no avail. It seems to be an operator error issue to me as I am new to this.

20221208_103420.jpg

They probably cannot be that close together. The receiver will desense. 
Also, how are you separating the transmitter signal from the receiver signal? Are you using two different antennas or a duplexer?

If two antennas how much separation do you have?

1 minute ago, Sshannon said:

Also, how are you separating the transmitter signal from the receiver signal? Are you using two different antennas or a duplexer?

Gotcha.. I will separate them, I remember now reading about that somewhere.  Yes, using XLT Communications GMRS Mobile Duplexer (50 Watt).

17 minutes ago, CJinAK said:

Gotcha.. I will separate them, I remember now reading about that somewhere.  Yes, using XLT Communications GMRS Mobile Duplexer (50 Watt).

@OffroaderX discusses the desense issue in one of the (Notarubicon) videos he did about building a KG1000G based repeater. 

21 minutes ago, Sshannon said:

Separating the radios did not change the situation.

8 hours ago, CJinAK said:

In the unified channel numbering scheme -- "channel 16" is a SIMPLEX channel transmitting on 462.xxx. That handheld either needs a channel marked something like: 16rp, or similar -- or the radio has repeater channels labeled as 23-30 (15rp-22rp), and you want channel 24 (16rp).

Or was that "16 4" supposed to be "16 r" for repeater. If so, I have nothing to suggest.

Your photo shows a green LED and signal strength meter; most radio's I own use green for RECEIVED SIGNAL, while the other rig is showing a red LED (typically used for transmit). It's as if the receive and transmit radios were reversed.

1 hour ago, KAF6045 said:

Your photo shows a green LED and signal strength meter; most radio's I own use green for RECEIVED SIGNAL, while the other rig is showing a red LED (typically used for transmit). It's as if the receive and transmit radios were reversed.

I think KAF6045 may be right here. 

3 hours ago, KAF6045 said:

In the unified channel numbering scheme -- "channel 16" is a SIMPLEX channel transmitting on 462.xxx. That handheld either needs a channel marked something like: 16rp, or similar -- or the radio has repeater channels labeled as 23-30 (15rp-22rp), and you want channel 24 (16rp).

Or was that "16 4" supposed to be "16 r" for repeater. If so, I have nothing to suggest.

Thank you for your response.  Your comments helped me figure out the error of my ways and correct the issues.  Works now.