Can you explain the weird scanning behavior of my Wouxun KG-935G?

WRVE426

I noticed something weird, at least to me, when I use the scan option on my Wouxun KG-935G.  The scan begins, and then it stops for a few seconds on various frequencies and then resumes.  But when I listen, there is nothing but static.  Yet the green light goes on and the blue signal bar shows a strong signal.  Why is that?  None of my other radios (Baofeng UV-5G, Baofeng UV-9G, BTECH GMRS Pro) do that.  I tried playing around with the squelch, but the behavior remains.

Can somebody explain what is going on?

Also, I tried to see how the scanning works and I keyed up one of my other radios (say the UV-5G) and I noticed that as soon as I keyed up, the Wouxun KG-935G would stop scanning, but it would stop on the wrong channel.  I was keying up on GMRS 18 and the radio would stop on a repeater channel.  Could it be that in close proximity to the emitting radio the Wouxun KG-935G detects maybe some kind of "harmonics" or bleed-over into other frequencies?

Can somebody explain this or did I get a lemon with serious scanning issues?

Do I need to educate myself on the Wouxun KG-935G or do I need to return the unit?

Thanks for any help!

17 minutes ago, WRVE426 said:

I even bumped the squelch to its max (9

If need be you may be able to increase the squelch parameters in settings using Chirp. I did this on a different radio for basically the same reason. I played with it a while until I was happy with the results. Good luck. 

2 hours ago, tweiss3 said:

Does the 935g do weather alerts? If so, when on it stops scanning every 10-15 seconds to check the weather channel for the alert tone, and it isn't actually stopping on the channel it shows.

BINGO!!!  You found the solution, thank you.  As soon as I disabled the weather alert this behavior stopped.

Many many thanks!! ??

21 hours ago, WRVE426 said:

Also, I tried to see how the scanning works and I keyed up one of my other radios (say the UV-5G) and I noticed that as soon as I keyed up, the Wouxun KG-935G would stop scanning, but it would stop on the wrong channel.  I was keying up on GMRS 18 and the radio would stop on a repeater channel.  Could it be that in close proximity to the emitting radio the Wouxun KG-935G detects maybe some kind of "harmonics" or bleed-over into other frequencies?

Can somebody explain this or did I get a lemon with serious scanning issues?

The only difference between a simplex channel and a repeater channel is that the repeater channel TRANSMITS on 467.xxxMHz rather than 462.xxxMHz-- both are receiving on 462.xxxMHz.

Stupid idiotization of radios: in the old days one didn't have separate simplex and repeater channels, one had ONE channel and a front-panel button that toggled simplex/duplex (and maybe a reverse button to temporarily let one hear the repeater input frequency -- you you could hear the other party you were close enough to use simplex).

• 3 weeks later...