How to quickly connect my GMRS HT to a magnetic car roof antenna?

WRVE426

Hi

I have a few GMRS HTs and I would like to find an antenna which I could quickly place on top of my car and connect it to my HTs.  This would not be a permanent mount, only a quick and dirty way of pulling a cable from my HT, through an open window, to a roof mounted antenna.  I need something designed for GMRS and a 5.5W HT.

Can you recommend any such antenna?  Something like a Nagoya NA-771G 15.3-Inch whip but with a magnetic base and a longer cable.

Thank you!

The Midland MXTA26 has a good reputation and is on sale for ~$40 right now.  It’s an NMO mount antenna, but you also need to buy a base and cable for it.  Probably the most common base folks get for it is a magnetic mount.  I got the MXTA12 from Midland for that.  I think it’s about $30, but it was a Christmas gift, so I’m not certain. 

1 hour ago, WRVE426 said:

Hi

I have a few GMRS HTs and I would like to find an antenna which I could quickly place on top of my car and connect it to my HTs.  This would not be a permanent mount, only a quick and dirty way of pulling a cable from my HT, through an open window, to a roof mounted antenna.  I need something designed for GMRS and a 5.5W HT.

Can you recommend any such antenna?  Something like a Nagoya NA-771G 15.3-Inch whip but with a magnetic base and a longer cable.

Thank you!

Have a look at this one. It has some gain as long as you have a nice roof on the car to provide a good ground plane. The gain will definitely be benifical with a low power radio like an HT.

https://dpdproductions.com/collections/gmrs-base-mobile-antennas/products/gmrs-double-5-8-wave-mobile-antenna

@Sshannon@Lscott

Thank you both for your suggestions.  I think I will go with the "all in one" solution suggested by Lscott.

But I have one more question: my radio (a Wouxun KG-935G) has a standard SMA Male connector.  Shall I order the kit with a Male BNC or the Male UHF (pl259) connector and, once I know which one to order, can you please let me know what kind of converter I need to connect the antenna cable to my HT?

Again, sorry for the noob question and thanks for any pointers!

20 minutes ago, WRVE426 said:

@Sshannon@Lscott

Thank you both for your suggestions.  I think I will go with the "all in one" solution suggested by Lscott.

But I have one more question: my radio (a Wouxun KG-935G) has a standard SMA Male connector.  Shall I order the kit with a Male BNC or the Male UHF (pl259) connector and, once I know which one to order, can you please let me know what kind of converter I need to connect the antenna cable to my HT?

Again, sorry for the noob question and thanks for any pointers!

For something you plan to connect and disconnect frequently I would recommend BNC. 

You’ll simply need an SMA to BNC adapter in the appropriate genders. SMA to BNC is a pretty popular adapter for handheld radios. 

36 minutes ago, Sshannon said:

For something you plan to connect and disconnect frequently I would recommend BNC. 

You’ll simply need an SMA to BNC adapter in the appropriate genders. SMA to BNC is a pretty popular adapter for handheld radios. 

That's a very good suggestion. Most of my stuff is BNC too. You can usually find adapters from just about any type of connector to BNC. Also I find patch cables at swaps using male BNC connectors on the ends. That makes it easy to quickly connect stuff up for temporary operation when you have the adapters.

BNC Adapter.jpg

One other point. When you want to operate the radio as a stand-a-lone you can leave the SMA to BNC adapter installed but you'll need to find a Rubber Duck antenna with a BNC base. I would highly recommend you do this since the SMA connector, adapter and radio, part can wear out from repeated installs and uninstalls. The one in the link is available with several base connector types including BNC.

https://www.buytwowayradios.com/nagoya-na-771g.html

7 minutes ago, Lscott said:

One other point. When you want to operate the radio as a stand-a-lone you can leave the SMA to BNC adapter installed but you'll need to find a Rubber Duck antenna with a BNC base. I would highly recommend you do this since the SMA connector, adapter and radio, part can wear out from repeated installs and uninstalls. The one in the link is available with several base connector types including BNC.

https://www.buytwowayradios.com/nagoya-na-771g.html

Excellent advice!  

If you have one of the typical Chinese GMRS radios they normally use a reverse/female SMA type antenna connector. I believe the one at the below link is what you'll need. This is the type of connector you see installed, in the photo in a prior post, on the cheap radio I use at work for a scanner.

https://www.buytwowayradios.com/nagoya-smaj-bncj.html

6 minutes ago, WRVE426 said:

and this connector is good for both SMA male and female?

No, if your radio has an SMA male (female threads surrounding a male inner pin) then your adapter needs to be SMA female to BNC female. That’s the one LScott linked above. 
If your radio has an SMA female connector (male threads surrounding a small female socket) then your adapter will need to be SMA male to BNC female (the cable on the antenna you thought you’d get has a BNC male.