Is this any of you guys?

Craws907

"Fonarow pointed out that cryptocurrency is just one idea the city has heard. Trail officials may learn more once the locked boxes are opened."  If they moved them, I bet some have already been opened...

Odd that they allowed a story to be published without investigating the components (which I think they have) before attempting removal in todays climate. If that is the case I would think they know if it is HAM or GMRS or other related transmitters.

Using serial numbers and photographs to be presented to folks in the know would be to easy to ID this stuff.  I think the story is to flush out the owners, and/or locate all the units that they might not have found.

Those were Helium crypto miners - aka Helium Hotspots for an IoT LoRaWAN network.  It's been talked through all over the web in the past week or two. Helium.com for details. 

If you missed it, people were making $1500-$3500 per month from off-grid mountaintop sites that overlooked major cities. Those same sites now mine about $25 per month since the crypto crash. If someone was putting up those sites in the past few months, they've lost their butt - especially considering the cost of the equipment they've lost, or the fines they might incur.