Anchorage GMRS

WRVV646

Figured starting a topic to start an area of discussion on getting connected to one another around Anchorage.

The current listed repeater in Anchorage (WRCA670) on mygmrs hasn't been updated in over 4 years and doing some research that I could find on another Alaska GMRS FB group that the repeater hasn't been heard in a long while. So my conclusion is that it no longer exists unless someone can give a different answer.

I'm going to ask if anyone here has a definitive GMRS Channel that Anchorage uses as an open contact usage or have one agreed upon our group to be made public for others to make contact or for emergency (thinking from what happened in December 2022 with 50% of our annual snow in a week and everyone getting stuck)

I suggest maybe using CB Channel guides (Channel 9 for during city wide emergencies; Channel 19/17 for driving) but maybe using Channel 1 as an open bridge for contact?

Hmmm, good catch. Thank you for the info. I do not have Facebook so that is helpful information. Did anyone make mention of any repeaters that are up in Anchorage that are active that IS NOT on my list of repeaters? There should be one up in Eagle River, but not sure what you are using for radio or how far south you are in Anchorage. I live in the Valley and do not go to Anchorage all that often so I do not know for sure. I am planning on driving around here soon and trying out all the repeaters that I do know of to double check their statues. If you can give some updates on Anchorage that would be great.

16 minutes ago, WRTT642 said:

Hmmm, good catch. Thank you for the info. I do not have Facebook so that is helpful information. Did anyone make mention of any repeaters that are up in Anchorage that are active that IS NOT on my list of repeaters? There should be one up in Eagle River, but not sure what you are using for radio or how far south you are in Anchorage. I live in the Valley and do not go to Anchorage all that often so I do not know for sure. I am planning on driving around here soon and trying out all the repeaters that I do know of to double check their statues. If you can give some updates on Anchorage that would be great.

I'm in the Turnagain area just north from Lake Hood/ANC Airport. And unfortunately no mention of any other repeaters in the Anchorage area that I could find besides the outdated one. I've been occasionally getting weak transmissions from my area where I am but it's hit or miss on signal strength (running a UV-9G handheld at the moment until I put in a mobile in my vehicle).

I think the main problem with Anchorage is that coverage is very difficult even with one repeater unless in a high enough location by Rabbit Creek, Flat Top, JBER which HAM operators have done already but nothing with GMRS from what is publically listed.

I'll keep an eye out if something pops up but having a repeater service Anchorage would help bridge the gap between here and Eagle River and out to the Valley.

Good info! So, I have heard rumors of one being out on Flat Top, but I have not been able to confirm that personally. Getting something out on JBER would be great, but umm yeah good luck with that I guess lol. 

We have one the has recently popped up in Palmer and another member here is going to get one up out in the KGB area more towards Wasilla, so hopefully we can get something going to connect the Valley together. I am trying to work on getting one up and running for out here in the Big Lake/Houston area, but the only I problem I see trying to connect Anchorage to the Valley is that Baldy is kinda in the way lol. That is unless getting one up on top of Baldy, but again good luck with that lol. Maybe getting something out on the hay flats are connecting something down KGB towards Point Mac and we can jump Knik Arm, but I'm not sure how powerful it would need to be, but if we could get something like that then we can bypass Eagle River and connect Anchorage and the Valley. 

1 hour ago, WRVV646 said:

I suggest maybe using CB Channel guides (Channel 9 for during city wide emergencies; Channel 19/17 for driving) but maybe using Channel 1 as an open bridge for contact?

I am cool with that, not sure if there are other arrangements with other users, anybody is welcomed to chime in on their thoughts or ideas on this.

• WRTT642 unpinned this topic
  • 2 months later...

Generally, we'd want to stick to the "GMRS" frequencies from channel 15 to 22, since all GMRS radios can transmit on those channels regardless of power level.

In Eagle River and the Valley, channel 16 probably gets the most use between the repeater here and the Golden Eagle folks in the Valley. Channel 20 gets more activity on weekends, particularly amongst offroaders out on the Moose Range trail system in Palmer.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Guidelines.