DCS and Repeaters

WRVW607

Question

Hi all, I am brand new to GMRS.  I have signed up for a few local repeaters and have set them up in my handheld successfully with the CTCSS tones.  My question is about DCS tone being used with repeaters.  I am under the impression that if you use a DCS tone, you and any other radio using the same DCS on that repeater will be able to speak to each other without disturbing all of the other users on the repeater.  Is this correct?   I realize that DCS is sometimes used for privacy, but I am curious as to how it works with a repeater.  For example, one repeater i am on was busy last night.  I was reluctant to use it as I didn't want to tie it up.  If i had set a DCS tone up on my radio and the other radio I wanted to talk to would that have permitted us to use it at the same time as the others?   Thanks for any help you can give.

Matt

3 answers to this question

19 minutes ago, WRVW607 said:

Hi all, I am brand new to GMRS.  I have signed up for a few local repeaters and have set them up in my handheld successfully with the CTCSS tones.  My question is about DCS tone being used with repeaters.  I am under the impression that if you use a DCS tone, you and any other radio using the same DCS on that repeater will be able to speak to each other without disturbing all of the other users on the repeater.  Is this correct?   I realize that DCS is sometimes used for privacy, but I am curious as to how it works with a repeater.  For example, one repeater i am on was busy last night.  I was reluctant to use it as I didn't want to tie it up.  If i had set a DCS tone up on my radio and the other radio I wanted to talk to would that have permitted us to use it at the same time as the others?   Thanks for any help you can give.

Matt

No, that would not have allowed you to use the repeater at the same time as others.

DCS works like CTCSS, but as far as I know you cannot use it simultaneously with CTCSS.  It’s simply a digital alternative. You have to select which you want to use.  If you’re using DCS to talk to your friend, you won’t be able If you have CTCSS set to get into the repeater.

Also, just like CTCSS, anybody who doesn’t have a DCS code set will hear everything transmitted with a DCS Code.  

8 hours ago, Sshannon said:

No, that would not have allowed you to use the repeater at the same time as others.

DCS works like CTCSS, but as far as I know you cannot use it simultaneously with CTCSS.  It’s simply a digital alternative. You have to select which you want to use.  If you’re using DCS to talk to your friend, you won’t be able If you have CTCSS set to get into the repeater.

Also, just like CTCSS, anybody who doesn’t have a DCS code set will hear everything transmitted with a DCS Code.  

Ok. That explains why some people set up their own repeaters.   Thanks for the info.