Has anybody ever compared the 15.3-Inch Nagoya NA-771G 15.3-Inch Whip antenna with the 28.3 Inch Length ABBREE SMA-Female Dual Band 144/430Mhz Foldable CS Tactical Antenna?

WRVE426

The Nagoya 15.3-Inch NA-771G is widely considered one of the best antennas for GMRS HTs.   Yet the 28.3 Inch Length ABBREE SMA-Female Dual Band 144/430Mhz Foldable CS Tactical Antenna is much larger.

Has anybody ever directly compared the two antennas?

Is the Nagoya always superior to that ABBREE or does the latter have an edge over the Nagoya in some circumstances and, if yes, which ones?

I only use HTs, by the way (mostly a Wouxun 935G), so I wonder if ever should ever use the ABBREE or is the Nagoya always the best choice?

Thank you!

Thank you Borage, but, maybe that is my ignorance speaking (I am a noob!), this test was about 2m and 70cm, not the near 64cm GMRS frequences.

Also, he was not using the 771G.

So I really don't know, how much of this conclusions (ABREE better unfolded for reception, ABREE better folded for transmission)  apply to the GMRS world?

Finally, am I correct in assuming that simply using the Nagoya 15.3-Inch NA-771G is the best all around option for most situations?

The 70cm is close enough to GMRS frequencies to get a good idea of performance. Many 70cm antennas can be used with out problem on GMRS.

The Nagoya 771g will likely be a good choice. Smiley antenna has a good 465MHz antenna line that is equivalent or better than the Nagoya.

I think the ABBREEs are more of a novelty/“Airsoft” antenna. They work, but I find signal stick, smiley and Nagoya to be better

I have tested with the SWR meter for the Nagoya and the Aubree 18" Inch.

The results are about the same. I just like the Aubree better because I can fold it up, and its more sturdy.

1.03 for the Nagoya and 1.02 for the Aubree

The performance is close enough that its a matter of preference at this point.

This is strictly on GMRS freqs.

20230123_173324.jpg

20230123_173436.jpg

19 hours ago, Cactusboy19 said:

I have tested with the SWR meter for the Nagoya and the Aubree 18" Inch.

The results are about the same. I just like the Aubree better because I can fold it up, and its more sturdy.

1.03 for the Nagoya and 1.02 for the Aubree

The performance is close enough that its a matter of preference at this point.

This is strictly on GMRS freqs.

SUPER interesting, thank you so much!!

On 1/22/2023 at 9:15 PM, Borage257 said:

The 70cm is close enough to GMRS frequencies to get a good idea of performance. Many 70cm antennas can be used with out problem on GMRS.

The Nagoya 771g will likely be a good choice. Smiley antenna has a good 465MHz antenna line that is equivalent or better than the Nagoya.

I think the ABBREEs are more of a novelty/“Airsoft” antenna. They work, but I find signal stick, smiley and Nagoya to be better

understood, thank you, I will stick to the Nagoya ?

• 2 weeks later...
5 hours ago, WRFP399 said:

Maybe it is the terrain I am in but I have yet to find an antenna, including an authentic 771G, that makes any significant improvement over the stock antennas on my radios. From the UV-5R, UV-88, Vertex EVX-534/531 and Motorola PR400.

Are you guys seeing improvement?

When I put the faux Nagoya 771 on, I get two more S units, as reported by a DMR repeater that I’m hitting.  That can mean a lot to quieting and background noise within the same range. But I don’t think it will make much difference in range for UHF.  Range is more a function of getting an antenna up in the air where it can be seen, above the horizon.

19 hours ago, WRFP399 said:

Are you guys seeing improvement

I have had great results with the Nagoya 771G on my BaoFeng UV-9G. The size is a factor for me though. I mean you’ll put your eye out, lol and not all that easy to deal with on your hip while hiking. So I found myself more often than not using the stock antenna instead. So I ordered the 701G because it’s only five and an half inches and I really wanted to use an antenna tuned for GMRS. I compared it to the 771 and it seems that the 771  is slightly better. I expected that. What I didn’t expect was how much better the 701G is than the stock antenna which is duel band. Even when listening to VHF frequencies it seems just as good as the duel band and on UHF I’m getting some frequencies that just weren’t very clear before. I have no problem hitting the local repeater and things are clear. It is my new go to. I love it so much I ordered two more for radios I haven’t even received yet. YMMV but for me I’m sold.