Bottom Line for UV-5G Memory Programming

sjmahler

Question

4 answers to this question

2 hours ago, sjmahler said:

I haven't found a definitive answer ... using the Baofeng UV-5G  with the Baofeng CPS  or  CHIRP  ...  can  memory 31 to 128 be programmed with a  repeater pair?    I need to have multiple tones for a single frequency.

Thanks.

Yes it can! I have a video on YT showing it... it's realistically the same radio as a UV5R, just locked go GMRS frequencies. There's 2 ways to go about it and be able to TX on it.

1. Use chirp. Download the daily installer and update it. Use the Radioddity UV5G option, not the baofeng UV5G option. Use a Cross tone with a Rx and Tx tone of the same for the repeater; then set an offset of 5 mhz. Remember, these have to be set on channels 31-127. Any other channel and it will default back the original channels. You can still name 1-30 though! You don't have to look at the ugly "REPETR8" haha. 

2. Utilize the save feature while in channel mode. Sounds funny becuase it is. So let's say you have two GMRS Repeater on Channel 15/550. One of them has a tone if 100(A), the other 123(B). Set channel 23 (REPETR1)[A] To PL 100. Save [A] to channel 31. This will copy all data to channel 31. Effectively, channel 31 is now the exact same as channel 23[A]. Now change channel 31s tone to 123[B] and boom. You have that Repeater avaliable. 

On 2/14/2023 at 1:12 AM, WRVG593 said:

Yes it can! I have a video on YT showing it... it's realistically the same radio as a UV5R, just locked go GMRS frequencies. There's 2 ways to go about it and be able to TX on it.

1. Use chirp. Download the daily installer and update it. Use the Radioddity UV5G option, not the baofeng UV5G option. Use a Cross tone with a Rx and Tx tone of the same for the repeater; then set an offset of 5 mhz. Remember, these have to be set on channels 31-127. Any other channel and it will default back the original channels. You can still name 1-30 though! You don't have to look at the ugly "REPETR8" haha. 

2. Utilize the save feature while in channel mode. Sounds funny becuase it is. So let's say you have two GMRS Repeater on Channel 15/550. One of them has a tone if 100(A), the other 123(B). Set channel 23 (REPETR1)[A] To PL 100. Save [A] to channel 31. This will copy all data to channel 31. Effectively, channel 31 is now the exact same as channel 23[A]. Now change channel 31s tone to 123[B] and boom. You have that Repeater avaliable. 

Thanks for answering !!  Would you please provide the YT channel name or URL to the video.

On 2/15/2023 at 8:17 AM, sjmahler said:

Thanks for answering !!  Would you please provide the YT channel name or URL to the video.

I am not the most interesting guy (I'm certainly not NotARubicon lol) and this is technically for the UV5R, but it is exactly the same. But instead of clicking (Baofeng-UV5R) click (Radioddity-UV5G). Even though this thing is a baofeng radio, the UV5G/UV5X is actually not listed in the baofeng section of chirp. It'll say UV5X but it's actually a whole different radio.