BSR Wouxun KG-UV9GX and PX CTCSS tones

Chimborazo

Question

I just received my KG-UV9PX and am waiting on my GX. When looking at the programming charts I noticed that CTCSS tones are set on all the simplex and repeater GMRS frequencies, and on all the Ham simplex frequencies on both radios. Why is this? As far as I know, people don't use tones on ham calling frequencies for the most part, and I don't believe on the other simplex frequencies either. For GMRS, I'd have to either remove them or change them anyway unless they just happen to match the tones of others in a group.

Also, I am using the Wouxun red cable and their software but am thinking about getting the RT Systems software if it's better than the Wouxun software. Can I buy one RT systems cable for both radios and just buy the software packages for each radio? The Wouxun software seems a bit antiquated and unstable, and it's a pain to go in and remove all the tones. I've had it crash on me a few times and I would love to be able to export the programming to a CSV, be able to copy/paste, etc. I'm running Windows 11 on a fairly new Dell XPS 13 with 32MB RAM.

Thanks in advance!

12 answers to this question

36 minutes ago, Chimborazo said:

Also, I am using the Wouxun red cable and their software but am thinking about getting the RT Systems software if it's better than the Wouxun software. Can I buy one RT systems cable for both radios and just buy the software packages for each radio?

I do not have either of those radios so no experience with the RT Systems software for them, but I *do* have their software for pretty much every radio I own (including a Wouxun KG-UV7D), and I highly recommend their programming software.

The answer to the second question is easy ... yes, you can buy one package that includes the cable and just buy the software (which can be downloaded) for the second.  I think they make about seven or eight cables but they are used for multiple different radios each, so once you have that particular cable you don't have to buy it again.  The USB-K4Y cable is used to program any radio with the typical K-type connector.

Just now, wrci350 said:

I do not have either of those radios so no experience with the RT Systems software for them, but I *do* have their software for pretty much every radio I own (including a Wouxun KG-UV7D), and I highly recommend their programming software.

The answer to the second question is easy ... yes, you can buy one package that includes the cable and just buy the software (which can be downloaded) for the second.  I think they make about seven or eight cables but they are used for multiple different radios each, so once you have that particular cable you don't have to buy it again.  That particular one (USB-K4Y) is used to program any radio with the typical K-type connector.

Thank you!

I'm using Win11 via Parallels on an M1 Mac mini.  I also prefer the RT Systems software.  Since Chirp (or Chirp Next) doesn't work with the KG-UV9G/Gx, I use that setup to program mine.  It would be super-nice to have one software provider for all my radios, just so I could copy between them.  Unfortunately, that doesn't exist.

I'd like to know more about the RT systems software as well. I am waiting on the 9GX as well and have recently seen some videos of people getting theirs. Frankly I'm thinking of cancelling. These people waited at least 6 months to a year to get them! I was told 15 weeks and then Mark said hopefully less. It's been 3 months already. How long ago did you order your gx?

3 hours ago, gearjunkie said:

I'd like to know more about the RT systems software as well. I am waiting on the 9GX as well and have recently seen some videos of people getting theirs. Frankly I'm thinking of cancelling. These people waited at least 6 months to a year to get them! I was told 15 weeks and then Mark said hopefully less. It's been 3 months already. How long ago did you order your gx?

Santa ordered mine for me on December 1st so it's been 11 weeks. Hopefully I'll have it in a month. If you can wait, I think it's going to be worth it; I say this based on my experience so far with the 9PX. The only two gripes are in my original post, and the CTCSS programming definitely makes software a must have. I think I'm going to order the RT Systems software, so I'll update when I do. I don't care about auto racing frequencies, so I'm probably going to replace that bank with ATC frequencies (ground, tower, TRACON, etc.) for airports/areas relevant to me, and good software will make that much easier.

18 hours ago, Chimborazo said:

Santa ordered mine for me on December 1st so it's been 11 weeks. Hopefully I'll have it in a month. If you can wait, I think it's going to be worth it; I say this based on my experience so far with the 9PX. The only two gripes are in my original post, and the CTCSS programming definitely makes software a must have. I think I'm going to order the RT Systems software, so I'll update when I do. I don't care about auto racing frequencies, so I'm probably going to replace that bank with ATC frequencies (ground, tower, TRACON, etc.) for airports/areas relevant to me, and good software will make that much easier.

Yes I agree it's going to be a great radio. But I am wondering if I should have just ordered the 9PX,(and made it work on GMRS) as I would have that one now. And it says it is in stock now as well. I wonder if Mark see's where your from and programs all the CTCSS codes in for your area? Also before it comes I want the RT software and a spare battery.

2 hours ago, Sshannon said:

However, there’s nothing wrong with using tones with simplex. 

Good to know...I was under the impression that with tones set on ham simplex you wouldn't know if the frequency was clear before transmitting so it's considered bad form. I suppose it would be the same with GMRS, but that nobody really cares. I say this with my deep expertise and experience; I've been a ham for 2 weeks and a licensed GMRS user for 3 months, so everyone should listen to me.

1 hour ago, Chimborazo said:

you wouldn't know if the frequency was clear before transmitting

Good form is to use monitor function for a second or two, and/or look at the activity LED that most HTs have. LMR (Part 90) radios have Busy Channel Lockout feature, which is also can be used. Stomping on somebody's conversation is a bad form, indeed.

3 hours ago, Chimborazo said:

Good to know...I was under the impression that with tones set on ham simplex you wouldn't know if the frequency was clear before transmitting so it's considered bad form. I suppose it would be the same with GMRS, but that nobody really cares. I say this with my deep expertise and experience; I've been a ham for 2 weeks and a licensed GMRS user for 3 months, so everyone should listen to me.

Your heart is definitely in the right place!  Alex (Axorlov) explained it well.