MIDLAND G-11c2

Guest ConceptOne

Guest ConceptOne

I scored a 2-unit pack NIB (but have not received them yet.) I would like to start shopping for better antennae. What type of antenna connector do these radios use? Manual does not state. Thanks.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/234866600713?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=r1bbBSIOQL-&sssrc=2349624&ssuid=VNpSoGjfR-u&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=SMS

5 hours ago, Guest ConceptOne said:

I scored a 2-unit pack NIB (but have not received them yet.) I would like to start shopping for better antennae. What type of antenna connector do these radios use? Manual does not state. Thanks.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/234866600713?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=r1bbBSIOQL-&sssrc=2349624&ssuid=VNpSoGjfR-u&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=SMS

The antenna is glued on and cannot be removed. The antenna must be permanently affixed per FCC type acceptance.

1 hour ago, nokones said:

The antenna is glued on and cannot be removed. The antenna must be permanently affixed per FCC type acceptance.

I’m not so sure that’s correct.  While this looks like a typical FRS bubble pack this is an older GMRS 15 channels radio and I found some info indicating that the antenna was removable. I found this https://www.midlandeurope.com/en_150/products/short-antenna-for-portable-radios 

It does look like some proprietary Midland thing though and I’m not sure you’ll have luck replacing it with anything better. Good luck.

Generally speaking, in the U.S. at least, handheld radios capable of FRS can't have removable antennas. That's not to say there's some European models that do have removable antennas, but I seriously doubt the radios you have fall into that category. The manual for a radio with a removable antenna would likely show how to install and remove it. There also appears to be other models of the G-11, such as the G-11 Pro, but they do not look like yours. My guess is that you're limited to the antenna that comes attached to it.

13 minutes ago, WRQC527 said:

Generally speaking, in the U.S. at least, handheld radios capable of FRS can't have removable antennas. That's not to say there's some European models that do have removable antennas, but I seriously doubt the radios you have fall into that category. The manual for a radio with a removable antenna would likely show how to install and remove it. There also appears to be other models of the G-11, such as the G-11 Pro, but they do not look like yours. My guess is that you're limited to the antenna that comes attached to it.

Yep we all know the rules as they are now. This thing ain’t new. It’s off eBay. It looks to have a removable antenna but as I said not likely going to find an improvement out there. 
According to this Two Way Radios forum (here in the U.S.) it does not have the middle FRS channels. I’m no expert on this thing nor do I care to be one. Just trying to give accurate info on what he has without assuming it’s what it looks like to all of us. Please let us know if the antenna was in fact removable. 

https://www.twowayradioforum.com/t/need-replacement-g-11/6058

Guest ConceptOne

Hello,

This is a pre-2017 product sold in the US. The antenna is removable per the advertising on the pack. In fact, it mentions a mag mount mobile antenna model number A-130. A Google search did not turn out any pictures or specs. The connector might be a mini-UHF (female). I don’t think it’s a BNC, and I believe they did not have SMA connectors at the time(?). I guess I’ll have to wait ‘til I get the package.