TYT TH-9800

dugcyn

no pro here but this radio seams to be a good fit for newby if one is careful.

I bought this because the radio I had (retivus 9000) did not even receive weather or Murs. this did not work with purpose of Emergency use.

this radio covers receive multi bands as advertised and seems fairly clear. one might want an external speaker if you are wanting quality sound. I have had no complaints on transmit GMRS.

be aware mine from Amazon came with wrong software. simple google search is your friend.

I will not attest to unlocking but seams to be possible vie internet search. this is the be careful part. 

It has reviews of heating up and or burning out. as a casual user I have not noticed this and or use a very well tuned antenna.

just throwing my contributation to the forum as owe much thanks to this platform.

Doug

• 6 months later...

Bougt from amazon with instructions  to open up. fwy only did that to check it out...reasonable radio for the money but  have noticed drop in power. I may have hurt it testing on 11m. have no metar for that  but the antenna tested good 2m and 70cm. IDK  maybe best one stay in band? may be a good radio for the money but going to ham am considering it as my slow scanner.   hope that helps