SW 2300-26100 kHz radios on emergency radios

WRQH837

Question

8 answers to this question

1 hour ago, WRQH837 said:

Why do a lot of these radios have this specific range?

You may want to find a scanner like a Uniden or Whistler, or even a used Radio Shack scanner that will range into the UHF and higher frequencies. CCrane appears to focus on the lower shortwave frequencies up to VHF. Could be a marketing decision, could be because of the expense or technical challenges. Or both.  Either way, a scanner may be your answer.

It looks like the Wouxun KG-UV9D radio will pick up a lot of these. Here is the range.  Do you think this will be good, or is there a scanner out there you recommend? I'm new to this and don't know much about scanners. Thanks! 

Dual Band Transmission

• 144-148MHz VHF (FM TX)
  • 420-450MHz UHF (FM TX)

7 Band Reception

• 76-108MHz (FM Radio)
  • 108-136MHz (AM RX)
  • 136-180MHz (FM RX)
  • 230-250MHz (FM RX)
  • 350-400MHz (FM RX)
  • 400-512MHz (FM RX)
  • 700-985MHz (FM RX)

I used BCD235XLT for years, till all the law enforcement, fire, EMT, and even city comms in my area went to P25 Phase 2. I gave away this scanner, it was good, but a bit tedious to program: everything must be done from the front panel. It also had a NiMH battery pack, that was easy to replace.

Just a few days ago I found a deal on ebay that I can't pass, for the BCD325P2 scanner, beaten up but working. These P25 scanners are expensive. It also a breeze to program from computer using regular mini-USB cable.

The difference between scanner and regular HT is that scanner is scanning much faster, so less chance to miss communication, and a lot of them, even cheap ones, can also scan trunked systems

Like axorlov said, HTs (and mobile radios) don't make the best scanners because they scan slowly. You can miss transmissions. But if you're not concerned about scan speed and you just want the capability to listen to specific frequencies, the KG-UV9D might be a good option if it covers them. 

On 3/3/2023 at 5:58 PM, WRQH837 said:

So, I have this Crane Skywave and this is the range listed. It doesn't look like I can pick up much of anything listed on radioreference.com (https://www.radioreference.com/db/aid/5698

Why do a lot of these radios have this specific range? Are they mainly broadcast channels for emergency broadcasts, or something like that? 

Going back to your original question, the range of frequencies the Crane Skywave covers are those which allow you to listen to transmissions from around the world, given a good antenna system.  They are the frequencies used by shortwave radio stations and ham radio operators which are best at long distances.  They propagate worldwide, bouncing or skipping off layers within the atmosphere and the earth itself and when conditions are just right you should be able to listen to radio stations from around the world without any networking or repeaters.

That specific range of frequencies is also called HF which stands for High Frequency.  In the Amateur Radio world HF extends from 3 MHz to 30 MHz (3000 kHz to 30,000 kHz).  VHF is 30 MHz to 300 MHz and UHF is 300 MHz to 3000 MHz (3 GHz).

As frequencies get higher, they no longer bounce as well.  They travel more in a straight line. This makes radios in the VHF and  UHF ranges better for local communications, such as fire, police, and utility services. It also makes them better for communicating via satellites.  If you wish to listen to those services, a true scanner, with the capability of listening to trunked and digital transmissions would be appropriate.  

Hi Steve, 

Thanks for answering the original question in such a concise way! I've been reading a lot online and have found pieces of this information here and there. It's really nice to see it summarized. :) Now, I know why emergency radios have the bandwidth they have, and I also know what I need to do to listen to local emergency services. All of you here have helped a lot!