Need help

WRTG618

Question

14 answers to this question

They may be out of range for you to reach. You say you have the right ctc tone. How do you know? Are these people you know? How can you be sure what tones they have set or if they are simplex or repeater? Just some questions to try and help solve your problem. 

Assuming you are hearing this through a repeater:

1. You may not have the right tone or you have it wrong/backwards in your radio (TX instead of RX and visa-versa)
  2. You may not be in range of the repeater - just because you can hear it does not mean it can hear you
  3. You are hearing a repeater but transmitting on the simplex channel not the "repeater" channel
  4. Probably other things i'm not thinking of

54 minutes ago, WRUU653 said:

They may be out of range for you to reach. You say you have the right ctc tone. How do you know? Are these people you know? How can you be sure what tones they have set or if they are simplex or repeater? Just some questions to try and help solve your problem. 

Because I changed it to a different one didn't hear them. Changed it back to the one I had before and I heard them again. I'm pretty sure it's a repeater 

55 minutes ago, OffRoaderX said:

Assuming you are hearing this through a repeater:

1. You may not have the right tone or you have it wrong/backwards in your radio (TX instead of RX and visa-versa)
  2. You may not be in range of the repeater - just because you can hear it does not mean it can hear you
  3. You are hearing a repeater but transmitting on the simplex channel not the "repeater" channel
  4. Probably other things i'm not thinking of

It might be the 2nd one 

5 minutes ago, WRTG618 said:

Because I changed it to a different one didn't hear them. Changed it back to the one I had before and I heard them again. I'm pretty sure it's a repeater 

Okay, with no tone set on your radio you will hear everything including the repeater. You may not be in range to reach the repeater. You may not have the correct tones to access the repeater. Tones for TX and RX don’t necessarily have to be the same even though they often are. 

1 minute ago, WRUU653 said:

Okay, with no tone set on your radio you will hear everything including the repeater. You may not be in range to reach the repeater. You may not have the correct tones to access the repeater. Tones for TX and RX don’t necessarily have to be the same even though they often are. 

So I set it to 141.3. I hear them talking. Set it to 146 2 I hear nothing. So I might not be within range then 

That is most likely the case but they could just as easily have a completely different tone for the the receive on the repeater in which case they would not hear you also. Just because you hear them on one tone doesn’t mean they will hear you with the same tone on your TX.

Think of tones like a key, the TX on your radio will unlock access to the repeater, the RX on your radio keeps out everything but the repeater (or anything with the same tone). That’s why with no tone set on RX you will hear everything. As I mentioned the tones don’t need to be the same. I hope this helps. Perhaps you can use the map and see where the repeater is and if it’s open or not and what the tones are. 

31 minutes ago, WRUU653 said:

Think of tones like a key, the TX on your radio will unlock access to the repeater, the RX on your radio keeps out everything but the repeater (or anything with the same tone). That’s why with no tone set on RX you will hear everything. As I mentioned the tones don’t need to be the same. I hope this helps. Perhaps you can use the map and see where the repeater is and if it’s open or not and what the tones are. 

It doesn't look too far from me. I might just have to ask around. Go on my ham and ask if there any gmrs people who uses the gmrs repeater who could help with it 

10 minutes ago, WRTG618 said:

It doesn't look too far from me

On the map page there is a gear icon in the upper left hand corner. Click on it and select stale and offline repeaters. I think you’ll find your repeater there. I’m thinking it’s JAX675 but there are a few near you. ?

8 hours ago, WRUU653 said:

On the map page there is a gear icon in the upper left hand corner. Click on it and select stale and offline repeaters. I think you’ll find your repeater there. I’m thinking it’s JAX675 but there are a few near you. ?

There one even closer then jax675. It not listed on this website but it is on repeaterbook