GMRS Repeater Programming

Phkalish

Good morning. New to GMRS, so bear with me. I purchased a couple of BFang UV-5X and am trying to understand how to program a repeater (once I find/get access to one). I watched a couple of videos from a highly informative (and sarcastic) youtuber that I am a fan of. First video said these radios are horrible, but then saw the updated video saying they fixed issues. Mine did come with repeater channels. Still some confusion on my part regarding repeaters. I assume the repeater channel (frequency) you choose, needs to match the pre-installed repeater frequency, correct? I know there is some relation to the GMRS channels (1-22) and the repeater. Or can you program any repeater channel (23-30) to whatever repeater you want? Then, if the repeater channel is programmed, that is the channel you would want both radios to use to talk to each other, not the GMRS channels (1-22), correct? One more step, the repeater channel that shares the frequency with channels 1-22, others would hear but could not transmit to our radios? I thank you for your help in advance, and your patience for the newbie.

27 minutes ago, Phkalish said:

Good morning. New to GMRS, so bear with me. I purchased a couple of BFang UV-5X and am trying to understand how to program a repeater (once I find/get access to one). I watched a couple of videos from a highly informative (and sarcastic) youtuber that I am a fan of. First video said these radios are horrible, but then saw the updated video saying they fixed issues. Mine did come with repeater channels. Still some confusion on my part regarding repeaters. I assume the repeater channel (frequency) you choose, needs to match the pre-installed repeater frequency, correct? I know there is some relation to the GMRS channels (1-22) and the repeater. Or can you program any repeater channel (23-30) to whatever repeater you want? Then, if the repeater channel is programmed, that is the channel you would want both radios to use to talk to each other, not the GMRS channels (1-22), correct? One more step, the repeater channel that shares the frequency with channels 1-22, others would hear but could not transmit to our radios? I thank you for your help in advance, and your patience for the newbie.

If you’re talking to each other through a repeater, you will both tune to the same repeater channel (22-30). Each repeater channel is preset with a transmit (uplink)frequency (transmission from your radio to the repeater) which is in the 467 MHz range. 
You will need to match the CTCSS or DTCSS tone the repeater expects or your transmission will be ignored. 
The repeater relays what you transmit by transmitting it on a frequency that’s exactly 5 MHz lower, so if your uplink frequency is 467.550 MHz then the downlink will be 462.550 MHz. Using separate frequencies like that is necessary for full duplex operation, which is what a repeater does when relaying a message as it receives it. The repeater channels are already configured for the offset frequencies. 
Many repeaters list downlink tones, but a tone is not needed to hear them. 

If you just want to talk to your friend you would both tune to exactly the same frequency in the 462 MHz range (15-22) which are the simplex channels. 
15-22 channels receive and transmit on the same frequencies as the receiver channels for repeaters. 

GMRS is allocated 30 frequency channels in the range of 462 MHz to 467 MHz, which are divided into 22 simplex channels (where you transmit and receive directly) and 8 repeater channels (where you transmit to a repeater, which receives and re-transmits your signal on a different channel).

A repeater is a device that receives a signal on one frequency and re-transmits it on another frequency, thereby extending the range of the signal.

Generally, when setting up a frequency channel on a radio, we transmit and receive signals on the same frequency. However, for GMRS repeater channels, we set up transmit and receive frequencies differently; the difference between these two frequencies is usually 5 MHz. In some cases, such as yours, these frequencies may already be pre-set.

However, most repeaters require that you transmit a specific tone (often called PL, CTCSS, QC or CG) before they listen to your transmission. Therefore, you may need to set the tone value for the repeater channel you want to use.

• 2 weeks later...

Here's an article which outline the step-by-step instruction to program a repeater into your radio.

Programming in a repeater

To find a repeater, use the home page on this site. At the top of that page you'll see a label "Map". Click it, then click the bubble nearest your location. When the bubble splits, click the one closest to your location. Repeat this process until a small antenna tower appears. Click on it, a box will appear giving you the information about the repeater. 

If you see a repeater in your area, click on the gear in the upper left of the map and ensure show stale repeaters is turned on.. 

You need the frequency and the input tone, enter that information into your radio as per the instructions outlined by the link.. Save the configured frequency to a channel. Out of the box, UV5Rs will not transmit on GMRS channels.. 

7 hours ago, WRWT868 said:

Here's an article which outline the step-by-step instruction to program a repeater into your radio.

Programming in a repeater

To find a repeater, use the home page on this site. At the top of that page you'll see a label "Map". Click it, then click the bubble nearest your location. When the bubble splits, click the one closest to your location. Repeat this process until a small antenna tower appears. Click on it, a box will appear giving you the information about the repeater. 

If you see a repeater in your area, click on the gear in the upper left of the map and ensure show stale repeaters is turned on.. 

You need the frequency and the input tone, enter that information into your radio as per the instructions outlined by the link.. Save the configured frequency to a channel. Out of the box, UV5Rs will not transmit on GMRS channels.. 

Good points about finding repeaters!

The OP has the UV5X, the X is the factory configured version (type 95e certified) GMRS Baofeng.

• 4 weeks later...
12 hours ago, OffRoaderX said:
10 hours ago, WRUU653 said:

I don’t think @OffRoaderX is wrong here. If they can hear you but you can’t hear them remove the RX tones from the offending programmed channel and you should be able to hear everything on said channel/frequency. It’s likely that tone is incorrect. 

thank you all for the help