Cobra 75 All Road "Wireless" AM/FM CB Radio--New

DanW

Just saw this new AM/FM CB radio.  Looks like Cobra finally replaced the venerable 75 all in the mic unit, which is a bit of a legend in the Jeep community.

Anyone tried one of these yet?  I've got a Bearcat CM760 all in the hand unit that works well, but I may upgrade to this unit for the FM.  Of course my Midland MXT575 is my preferred way to communicate in my Jeep, I keep a CB for highway use and to talk to Jeeps who don't have GMRS, of which there are still many.

I'd love to see Randy  (Aka: NotARubicon) do a review of this.  It appears to have some interesting features.

Chime in if you've seen one in the wild.  I'd love to hear thoughts!

Based on the images at Cobra's web site, this new version puts a lot more into the "interface box". The old 75 did have pretty much everything in the handset, and just a small box with the power, antenna, and handset connections (and maybe the final amp taking a low power signal from handset to the 4W allowed power). The new one looks to have most of the circuitry in somewhat larger box, and just put the speaker/microphone, controls/display into the handset -- looking more like my antique Standard Radio [Marantz period, pre-merger with Vertex, then Yaesu, then Motorola -- Vertex seems to jump more than fleas on a dog] 2m/70cm dual-band.

The "wireless" is that it has BlueTooth which supports pairing with headset or a wrist (or steering wheel?) worn PTT button.

11 minutes ago, KAF6045 said:

Based on the images at Cobra's web site, this new version puts a lot more into the "interface box". The old 75 did have pretty much everything in the handset, and just a small box with the power, antenna, and handset connections (and maybe the final amp taking a low power signal from handset to the 4W allowed power). The new one looks to have most of the circuitry in somewhat larger box, and just put the speaker/microphone, controls/display into the handset -- looking more like my antique Standard Radio [Marantz period, pre-merger with Vertex, then Yaesu, then Motorola -- Vertex seems to jump more than fleas on a dog] 2m/70cm dual-band.

The "wireless" is that it has BlueTooth which supports pairing with headset or a wrist (or steering wheel?) worn PTT button.

It looks like it also wirelessly pairs with the box.  The power cord looks like just a USB.  Interesting.

3 hours ago, DanW said:

It looks like it also wirelessly pairs with the box.  The power cord looks like just a USB.  Interesting.

Both the handset and the box need a power connection (the box provides a USB port for the handset). The box has traditional fused wire for vehicle battery. But, yeah... since the handset can be powered from any /other/ USB port (including via the lighter socket adapter) it must be using some other (bluetooth or ISM) signal to get to the box.