Emergency Use of GMRS in Wyoming and Colorado

Over2U

28 March 2023 1420 hrs

This morning Be 307 Aware received a  call from Colorado SAR Assoc. They are working on a GMRS/FRS Radio Frequency to use in Colorado, similar to what we have here. This is the culmination of months of conversations and explanations of how #Be307Aware came to be!!!  

A simple phone call from another SAR member, Pat Waliser in Saratoga WY in January of 2021 to present, where neighboring states are working on a similar program.... 

Be 307 Aware is working closely with the CSAR, and we support this project whole heartedly!!! 

I'm sure there will be more to follow on this!!!

Outstanding people doing outstanding things!!!

#Be307Aware 
#CSAR

18 hours ago, Over2U said:

This morning Be 307 Aware received a  call from Colorado SAR Assoc. They are working on a GMRS/FRS Radio Frequency to use in Colorado, similar to what we have here. This is the culmination of months of conversations and explanations of how #Be307Aware came to be!!!  

For the life of me I can not think why anyone would use a privacy tone for an emergency.  I would think in an actual emergency you wouldn’t want to restrict hearing anything. 

56 minutes ago, WRUU653 said:

For the life of me I can not think why anyone would use a privacy tone for an emergency.  I would think in an actual emergency you wouldn’t want to restrict hearing anything. 

Hopefully they monitor without the tone. I agree with you. I suspect they were just taking advantage of the mnemonic. 

2 hours ago, WRVR303 said:

Since a lot (most?) GMRS radios don't show what frequency a given channel is on, consider adding in the channel number to the above logo.

The consolidated channel number is the 3 in the 307. Though 85.4 is tone #8 in at least one table of common assignments https://www.buytwowayradios.com/blog/2022/10/chart-of-standard-ctcss-tones.html

1 hour ago, KAF6045 said:

The consolidated channel number is the 3 in the 307. Though 85.4 is tone #8 in at least one table of common assignments https://www.buytwowayradios.com/blog/2022/10/chart-of-standard-ctcss-tones.html

Yeah that won’t be a problem. I’m not finding that as a tone 7 on anything but Midland.

Wouxun caller somewhere close by keys radio.  Help help…
some guy, we’ll call him Bob is monitoring channel with tones

Hi Bob hear any calls today? 

Nope. All quiet. 

2 hours ago, gortex2 said:

This has been in place for a couple of years. It has been discussed on this page in the past. I give them kuddos for picking something and sticking to it. Everyone has ideas online but very few actually follow thru. 

But it’s still an inadequate solution for the reasons often repeated. 
That something has been discussed before without resolving the inherent problems is no reason not to discuss it again. The horse isn’t dead. 

I’m not saying this is a bad idea. It’s just that privacy code 7 seems only appropriate for Midland radios.

Motorola, Baofeng, Wouxun all use code 8 for 85.4. This seems like a huge oversight in trying to set a standard for emergency especially for the Motorola bubble pack crowd which won’t even see a frequency but rather just a number when setting up their radio and consist of a huge portion of radio users. Users that may very well not be aware of the issue. Also why a tone at all? How does a committee for an emergency idea not discuss this and resolve it before going forward?  

1 minute ago, WRUU653 said:

I’m not saying this is a bad idea. It’s just that privacy code 7 seems only appropriate for Midland radios.

Motorola, Baofeng, Wouxun all use code 8 for 85.4. This seems like a huge oversight in trying to set a standard for emergency especially for the Motorola bubble pack crowd which won’t even see a frequency but rather just a number when setting up their radio and consist of a huge portion of radio users. Users that may very well not be aware of the issue. Also why a tone at all? How does a committee for an emergency idea not discuss this and resolve it before going forward?  

It’s not a bad idea. I think every state should designate an emergency channel. But it would possibly be more useful if it were a common channel everywhere and if there were no privacy code. In an emergency the last thing you want is for a message to be missed because somebody couldn’t set the tone correctly. Just look at how many people on this forum, which is dedicated to GMRS, ask how tones work. And those are people who are interested in GMRS. 

1 minute ago, Sshannon said:

It’s not a bad idea. I think every state should designate an emergency channel. But it would possibly be more useful if it were a common channel everywhere and if there were no privacy code. In an emergency the last thing you want is for a message to be missed because somebody couldn’t set the tone correctly. Just look at how many people on this forum, which is dedicated to GMRS, ask how tones work. And those are people who are interested in GMRS. 

Yes, this ^^^
You wouldn’t make phone emergency call 911 in one state and 912 in another or worse yet 915 if you have one phone manufacturer and 913 for another.  What’s the thinking here?  Natural selection by radio understanding? We only want to help people who have Midland radios? 

8 hours ago, Over2U said:

If Colorado and other U.S. States begin to copy Wyoming’s plan, perhaps the widespread use of Channel 3 (only 5 watts, I know) will catch on, while the addition of the little needed and error prone PL code will quietly go away…

In reality its actually only 2 watts as 90% of the users would be on FRS. 

While I agree with the "issues" again I'll go back to they did something. That's more than most. I'm sure if any of you on the forum wanted to donate thousands of dollars to help promote a channel other states would be happy to take your money.