What is the longest range repeater in your area?

WashingtonMatt

This is all new to me. I've only had my GMRS license for a week. I added a few repeaters to my HT in areas I like to off road. I'm in AZ and we have some repeaters that are on very high mountain peaks. I joined a couple people in a conversation a couple days ago and they said I was coming through perfect at 40 miles away. They come through on my HT as clear as a phone. Several repeaters in AZ advertise 100+ miles and a couple can go much further than that from what I'm told.

6 hours ago, bueller said:

This is all new to me. I've only had my GMRS license for a week. I added a few repeaters to my HT in areas I like to off road. I'm in AZ and we have some repeaters that are on very high mountain peaks. I joined a couple people in a conversation a couple days ago and they said I was coming through perfect at 40 miles away. They come through on my HT as clear as a phone. Several repeaters in AZ advertise 100+ miles and a couple can go much further than that from what I'm told.

Probably, Towers 575 and 600. I believe both are about 7600' in elevation near Crown King. I can hit both of them with a portable from inside my house. 

I'm also in Arizona and the GMRS repeaters on those peaks are great offroad! I was once able to hit the White Tanks repeater from the Mogollon Rim, sitting on Rim Rd at about 34.425 -111.331. It's about 90 miles line-of-site from my 5W Kenwood HT to the White Tanks, and about 3000' higher. I've also heard people on GMRS from Mt. Lemmon on the White Tanks repeaters too. Kinda "cheating" going from peak to peak like that, but the repeater coverage you have while out off-roading in AZ is really reliable and such a good thing to have. There are many places where cell coverage is not available in AZ but 2m/70cm/GMRS repeaters is.

8 hours ago, nokones said:

Probably, Towers 575 and 600. I believe both are about 7600' in elevation near Crown King. I can hit both of them with a portable from inside my house. 

Yep, both of those repeaters are easily reachable. 575 comes through clearer for me though. I'm only a few miles north of you

6 hours ago, mcallahan said:

I'm also in Arizona and the GMRS repeaters on those peaks are great offroad! I was once able to hit the White Tanks repeater from the Mogollon Rim, sitting on Rim Rd at about 34.425 -111.331. It's about 90 miles line-of-site from my 5W Kenwood HT to the White Tanks, and about 3000' higher. I've also heard people on GMRS from Mt. Lemmon on the White Tanks repeaters too. Kinda "cheating" going from peak to peak like that, but the repeater coverage you have while out off-roading in AZ is really reliable and such a good thing to have. There are many places where cell coverage is not available in AZ but 2m/70cm/GMRS repeaters is.

It's interesting you were able to hit the White Tanks repeater from Rim Rd. I'm up in that area pretty often. I like camping around the Knoll Lake area. We do a lot of off roading all around Lake Pleasant and north of the lake, so having a dependable repeater was important to myself and the group I go out with.

I'm in southwest Alabama, AKA Mobile County. The widest coverage repeater around is the Spanish Fort 700 machine, which covers from the Mississippi to the Florida state lines, or about 50 miles. The elevation of the repeater is only about 600 ft AMSL but when every thing else is basically at sea level 600 ft above does the job quite nicely.

On 5/9/2023 at 7:32 AM, mcallahan said:

I haven't tried yet, as I haven't been up that way in quite a while, but with the Diamond Point repeater, you should be able to reach people in Phoenix via Shaw Butte 725 being that they are linked as part of a network. I think it's just a matter of switching from the CTCSS for the local access to the DCS listed for link access.