L3Harris XG-100M

kidphc

Trying to compile a list of parts necessary to build out an XG-100M. Nothing more at this point.

The Radio: XG100M

• VHF low band 30-50 MHz
    • 9 miliwatts
      • Some agencies around DC suburbs still use VHF low
        • Shenandoah PD
        • Maryland state on the western handle of MD
        • couple of others
      • It CAN NOT transmit on the ham bands
        • Filters are to tight
  • VHF High 136-174 Wide/narrow
    • 5-50w
  • UHF  380-520 MHz Wide/narrow
    • 5-50w
  • UHF 700-800 MHz 
    • 2-30 w 700 MHz
    • 2-35 w 800 Mhz
  • P25 Conv., Trunked, 
  • 12.5/20/25  kHz spacing
  • Modulation
    • Phase 1 TX: C4FM, RX: C4FM & WCQPSK
    • Phase 2 TX: HCPM, RX: WCQPSK
  • DVRS (digital vehicle repeater) available for 700/800 Mhz only

Page 21-30 contains a part list

Page 52-53 has a diagram that includes the part numbers to aid the search.

The radio body or complete system can be found on ebay ranging from $300 (brick) only to $1000-$3000 depending on the head style for a complete system.

I chose to buy the bricks and components separately. You can buy an older complete 7300m/5300m/75M for about $120-150. Double check the part numbers from those radios, to verify what parts carry over.

THE HEADS and Mounting Refer to page 18 of attached manual from first post for pictures of the styles.

CH721 Head- Avg about $60-80 on ebay.

• Part# CU23218-004 (system head)
  • Part# CU23218-002 (scan head)
  • This part can be a carry over from a 7300, 5300, XG-75M
  • CH721 Head Remote Mounting Bracket
    • I opted for the  remote head bracket, which may be changed to the ram style home brew mount copying the Harris mountU Shaped bracket
    • Remote Head U bracket
      • Part# KT008608
      • Avg Price new on ebay $10 + shipping
    • CH721 Head Remote Pedestal Mount
      • Part# MACDOS0012
      • Would love to find one but haven't, probably will have to DIY something similar
    • CH721 Catalog numbers
      • Ch721 scan head remote # XMCP9E
        • console mount # XMCP9G
      • CH721 system head remote # XMCP9F
        • console mount # XMCP9H
      • Ch100  remote mount # XMCP9H
        • console mount # XMCP9Q

CH100 Touch screen, bluetooth head

• Part# 120991200-01
  • Avg $1000-$2000 (new)
  • Highly sought after but crazy priced.
    • allows for bluetooth programming
    • allows for system/configuration changes that are unavailable on any of the other heads.,
  • CH100 Head Remote Mounting Bracket
  • Part# 12099-1500-01
  • Avg $60 new on ebay
  • CH100 Head Remote Pedestal Mount
    • Part# 12099-1501-01
    • not sure if you need the above as well as the CH721 Pedestal mount.
    • Refer to Fig 8-9 on page 59 to understand what I am saying.
  •  
  •  

Remote Brick Bracket

• Part# KT23117
  • I chose to use part# fm103111v1
    • We will see if it works fine. Probably won't have the screws, but it is the part number that is included with the kit
    • I couldn't find the kit
    • AVG $18.99 for a beat up one

Console Install bracket

• Part# KT101533V1
  • Avg $15-40

You can do multiple head setups. A pair of CH721s, a pair of CH100s. You can not mix and match a CH100, with a CH721 head on the same system. This is much like trying to use and 03 head with a 05 head on an XTL series Motorola radio.

XG-100M00-1470305.pdf

Wiring and Accessories

• Canbus Terminator

Unlike the Motorola Canbus like on the XTL series and newer. The Harris radio wasn't self terminating. Think old fire ring/token ring networks where you had to terminate connections or the ring would fail. So we need a couple of terminators.

• Original Part# CD-014027-0001
    • These were supplied with the radio when new. Most are long gone, or in a box somewhere in a radio shop.
  • Substitute Part# MACDOS0010
    • These were originally XG-75m, 7300m, and 5300m series radios
    • About $11 a piece
  • Generally, most radio setups will need 1-2, but if you add multiple heads then you may need several extras
  • Microphones
    • DTMF
      • MC-103334-040
      • MC-103334-041 Included with MAMW-NMC9C
    • Standard
      • MC-101616-040
      • MC-101616-041 Included with MAMW0NMC72
    • Noise cancelling
      • MC 103334-050 
      • MC 103334-051 Included with MAMW-NMCSD
    • Avg $20-100 depending on stock and condition
  • Speaker and cable
    • Speaker Cable
      • Part # 1000005812-0001-REVB
      • I plan on using my speaker from the XTL. The speaker cable is basically that 4 prong box connector that Motorola uses.
        • Originally part of the installation kit.
      • Avg $18-23
      • Again carry over from XG-75m, 7300m, and 5300m series radios. SEE A TREND YET?
    • Speaker If you have to have your speaker have Harris on it. 
      • Part# LS102824V10
      • Avg $20 new
      • Again carry over from XG-75m, 7300m, and 5300m series radios. SEE A TREND YET?
  • Canbus Cable
    • Part# ca-009562-030
    • Supplied with original installation kit
    • I am using a new/old stock Macom cable. Again carry over from XG-75m, 7300m, and 5300m series radios. SEE A TREND YET?
    •  Abg $25 ebay $98 new
  • Power Cable
  • Programming cable
    • It is a Rs232 9pin Straight serial cable. I opted for an FTDI usb to rs232
    • NO rib box necessary
    • Rs232 female on the head and back of the radio.
    • Avg $20-40
  • Antenna connectors
    • VHF HIgh, UHF and 7/800
      • TNC female on the radio brick.
      • So you will need a Male TNC to your chosen antenna connector.
    • VHF Low
      • BNC female on the radio brick
      • Again adapter if necessary.
    • GPS port... 
      • I am not utilizing the GPS
      • From my understanding the radio will provide NMEA formatted data.
        • this will be on several pins on the 44 pin serial port.

Reference photo of back of radio on page 18 Figure 3-2

• 7 months later...

Bumping this thread. Did you ever put one of these together? I'm looking into one, but I'm missing some information and maybe some hardware.

Did you confirm programming can occur directly through the DB9 using an FTDI?

Do you have a pinout from the DB44? Any idea on what pins are needed for 3pin keyloading?

• 2 weeks later...

Waiting on a TNC to N adapter, but I have some more information/observations to add.

CH721 head (system) is not terrible to use, but I glanced over the fact that you can only have 1 mission plan. You need the elusive and expensive CH100 to hold more than 1 mission plan. The HHCH has same features/limitations as the CH721 head.

Programming is through the brick DB9, not the head DB9.

When applying power, read the manual for control head setup. You will get no power/activity if you don't connect the ignition sense wire to power. This is on the head side, if you don't want ignition sense, hardwire the white wire to positive power, otherwise attach it to ignition sense power.

Yes, I have terminators for both unused ports. It powers up and cycles through channels and zones. 
I'm still undecided if VHF low is worth doing anything with. I don't see it being used in Ohio anymore, for anything. I also don't want to deal with another antenna.
It's only good for really listening. The harris low band amplifiers are terribly expensive and incredibly difficult to find.

One of the group of friends I have about 6 of the radios. They also have several vhf lowband commercial repeaters. They are intrigued by setting a lowband network from Shenadoh up to New York. They have been trying to figure a way to get an amplifier to work. Btw.. Most of them are local FD, some at the Homeland Defense regional level. So if they an find it they would of.

Primary problem, is the output for vhf low is a ridiculously low . 9mw.. which means it needs to be amped up to 1-2 watts at least to work with any other amplifier. But eww on an amplifier to feed another amplifier.

Secondarily, no low band vhf public systems minus a handful of municipal pd stations around here. Frequency range is only 33-48 MHz. Outside of ham and cb, so unless you have a commercial license for the band, then useless. Good news is band is emptying out so you can apply for one easily.

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

I thought I saw one thread on cobbling together an amplifier/filter set on RR. I'm not exactly interested in transmitting though, but if VHFLo was available to listen, I would like too listen.

If only someone had a way to expand the VHFLo to 6 or 10 meters.......
Nope, no way to get it out of range. The filtering is awesome.. but it's too tight. The guys that took it apart said it wasn't worth it. They guys I was with, is where his conversation came from.

They said they might be able to hack the software, but it would probably damage something in the radio very shortly. After spending 5 minutes with them talking I gave up.

Of course, what do these guys care. They are running around with full apx setups in their trucks. One of them a volunteer fd, setup his personal f350 like a command radio truck. Shit you not.. looked like 30k in radio gear alone.

• 1 month later...
On 2/25/2024 at 8:00 PM, kidphc said:

Tell me if you find a suitable amp.. since that .09 watts of output make it pretty difficult.

This is going to be an application that will require coming up with something on your own.  You are going to need to design it and build it, or have someone do that.  Obviously there was an option for them, and I don't doubt that there were a few factory made units.  But those don't seem to be surfacing.  Either the few that were purchased are still in use, or they were scrapped instead of making it to the secondary market. 

But designing an amplifier for this application shouldn't be all that difficult, at least if you have some sort of accessory connector on the radio that has a keying output for the low band to control the amp.  It's going to be a bit more complex than a CB amp due to the requirements for proper biasing of the driver and output transistors for proper linearity due to it being FM and possibly P25 (don't know if the radio does digital modulation on low band.  Power output is going to depend on your amplifier design, which will no doubt will need to be multistage since the initial power level being amplified is rather low.  But if you design for a 10 dB increase in power per amplifier stage, then it's just how many stages are needed to reach the desired power output level starting with what you have. 

The other positive to this is it's low band (30 to 50Mhz).  By that I mean that things like the trace length in the circuit board don't really become a factor at those low frequencies.  If this were 900Mhz or even 440 to 450Mhz then even the design of the circuit board, trace capacitance and inductance comes into play and needs to be considered for the design.  But again, that's not really a factor here. 

This is going to be an application that will require coming up with something on your own.  You are going to need to design it and build it, or have someone do that.  Obviously there was an option for them, and I don't doubt that there were a few factory made units.  But those don't seem to be surfacing.  Either the few that were purchased are still in use, or they were scrapped instead of making it to the secondary market. 
But designing an amplifier for this application shouldn't be all that difficult, at least if you have some sort of accessory connector on the radio that has a keying output for the low band to control the amp.  It's going to be a bit more complex than a CB amp due to the requirements for proper biasing of the driver and output transistors for proper linearity due to it being FM and possibly P25 (don't know if the radio does digital modulation on low band.  Power output is going to depend on your amplifier design, which will no doubt will need to be multistage since the initial power level being amplified is rather low.  But if you design for a 10 dB increase in power per amplifier stage, then it's just how many stages are needed to reach the desired power output level starting with what you have. 
The other positive to this is it's low band (30 to 50Mhz).  By that I mean that things like the trace length in the circuit board don't really become a factor at those low frequencies.  If this were 900Mhz or even 440 to 450Mhz then even the design of the circuit board, trace capacitance and inductance comes into play and needs to be considered for the design.  But again, that's not really a factor here. 
Thank you. But beyond my current knowledge scope. I have a few guys looking at options. So if we figure it out, I will pass it on.

Unfortunately, there are no p25 low vhf band options.

1 hour ago, kidphc said:

Thank you. But beyond my current knowledge scope. I have a few guys looking at options. So if we figure it out, I will pass it on.

Unfortunately, there are no p25 low vhf band options.

I believe the NX-5600HB now can do P25.

Looking at the XG-100LPA, it was only certified for 16K0F3E per the FCC grant. I did find the manual for it though, and it was an RF sensing. 

I see one option is use a MiniCircuits broad band amp that will take the 9mw up to maybe 2 watts then use a Tricom RAMP-25 to put out 25W, but I don't know if anyone has said anything about how to key it, or if it will work with with receive audio.

I've looked a low band (I am interested in at least listening to see what is out there), but in actual application the mobile antenna is going to be huge and narrow banded to be effective.

I believe the NX-5600HB now can do P25.
Looking at the XG-100LPA, it was only certified for 16K0F3E per the FCC grant. I did find the manual for it though, and it was an RF sensing. 
I see one option is use a MiniCircuits broad band amp that will take the 9mw up to maybe 2 watts then use a Tricom RAMP-25 to put out 25W, but I don't know if anyone has said anything about how to key it, or if it will work with with receive audio.
I've looked a low band (I am interested in at least listening to see what is out there), but in actual application the mobile antenna is going to be huge and narrow banded to be effective.
NX-5600HB Is that the one that was for the CHP? I thought California patrol pulled out of that and Kenwood nixed the project.

It is the one CHP uses (or was going to). They are available, but not necessarily a stocked item. Kenwood will make them in batches though. I know some guys were working on a few things with those lowband decks. 
You got a pm.