GMRS/FRS On the Outer Banks (OBX)

WRUX266

Greetings to the group.

Recently licensed GMRS user here, longtime ham operator. My family has vacationed on the outer banks of NC for almost 20 years. In the past I have programmed local VHF/UHF repeaters in a HT and had some fun chit-chat with local operators. I've also done some low power (QRP) HF work from the OBX using a simple temporary wire antenna. My question is has anyone else visited the OBX and brought along a GMRS HT? If so, did you encounter any activity? I'm sure there is plenty FRS activity with families keeping in touch on the beach and such, but I'm curious about any GMRS-specific activity. Just wondering if it's worth it to pack a radio/battery charger for my trip this summer, or if it would be a disappointing waste of time.

Thanks!  WRUX266

1 hour ago, gortex2 said:

Was out there last summer for a weekend. Had my mobile on the entire time and never heard a peep. When I went back to the mainland on the ferry there was one group of cars talking on ch1 waiting on the ferry. 

Same experience for me. Heard nothing - from Ocean City (MD) all the way down to KDH .  I see on repeater book there is a repeater down by Emerald Isle.  

• 4 months later...

Yeah, I was down there recently myself.  Had my first intercontinental chat on Echo Link.  Talked to a guy in Ireland.  Was very surprised with that since I didn't know the repeater was an Echo Link machine. 

GMRS however was flat.  Nothing heard. 

Hope that changes some before my next trip down.

• 3 months later...