Boondocking Desert Camping

WRUE951

A few friends of mine enjoy desert boondocking  to play with their dirt toys..   They tell me it's very common to find a temporary open repeater somone has  set up in the areas they camp for anyone to use. And apparently they get used often..  I understand it's all word of mouth for the Channel specifics..   I didn't recommend this site as a means to advertise those repeater specifics but got to thinking, why couldn't this site  be used for those temporary repeaters..  Say, if you set up a few locations, mark it as temporary Repeater location and toggle the status online/offline..    What do you guys/gals think??   anyone gonna get 'butt heart' if this site becomes a tool for temporary boondocking/campong repeaters?    

I think the generally accepted practice for open repeaters is to use what has become known as the travel tones aka 141.3 and temporary repeaters are just that.  Used while the group is out and gone when they go. I wouldn’t think promoting it would be all that necessary.  Of course if it’s your repeater you can do as you wish. I don’t really see a need for it though. Of course if it’s not yours than that would be a hard no. 

I see no need to list temporary repeaters. As said they are temporary setup today gone tomorrow. I used to do the same at nascar tracks with my motorhome. Some races we would be on site for a week and other 3 days. Some folks knew if I was on site the repeater was there but prior to the last few years it was used for a purpose and not like it is now.