Completely clueless on getting on a repeater.

WRXA744

I am trying to get on a repeater to see if the radio works . I am listening to channel 60 which is 462.6000, i have an offset of 5.0 + but when i key up and announce my call sign, nobody hears me. i have tried to set a tone search and i have come up with one (i think) - i am not supposed to mention it , so i won't . i believe i am listening to a linked repeater because i hear people from pretty far away Like New York and i am in Valparaiso Indiana.

i have watched video's i have listened, i have searched mygmrs, i still seem to be lost. any direction (like a you tube video) would be helpful. 

How do i find out how to get on a repeater , how do i find a repeater that is close to me to get on? 

50 minutes ago, WRXA744 said:

I am trying to get on a repeater to see if the radio works . I am listening to channel 60 which is 462.6000, i have an offset of 5.0 + but when i key up and announce my call sign, nobody hears me. i have tried to set a tone search and i have come up with one (i think) - i am not supposed to mention it , so i won't . i believe i am listening to a linked repeater because i hear people from pretty far away Like New York and i am in Valparaiso Indiana.

i have watched video's i have listened, i have searched mygmrs, i still seem to be lost. any direction (like a you tube video) would be helpful. 

How do i find out how to get on a repeater , how do i find a repeater that is close to me to get on? 

To find a repeater in your vicinity, use the repeater directory that’s part of this site.  You might have to search for all repeaters in Indiana.  There you may be able to request access as well.  If you are granted access they should tell you what tone the repeater requires in order to access it.  

Scanning for a tone only tells you the tone the repeater transmits.  That may be the same as it requires, but not necessarily. If you are close to the repeater you may be able to scan for a tone on the input frequency (467.600 MHz).  

I usually tell people not to set a receive tone.  If left unset you will receive everything transmitted on the output frequency (462.600 MHz).

So, to summarize:

find the repeater using the directory that’s part of mygmrs.  

Ask for access.  

Program the necessary input tone into your radio as the TX_CTCSS or whatever it’s called for your radio.

Leave RX_CTCSS clear, or use Tone Mode instead of TSQL mode or however it’s called on your radio.

Best wishes!

So I believe you are hearing the Crete 600. From Valpo you will probably need a good mobile to make it into it but a base station should have no problem. 

Here's a link to ask for permission

https://mygmrs.com/repeater/6001

Also checkout the Valpo1 and the Laporte repeaters 

https://mygmrs.com/repeater/2685

https://mygmrs.com/repeater/4944