151.6250 aka RED DOT

23 hours ago, Lscott said:

You would be surprised that some do. There are a LOT of "ears" out there with nothing better to do with their time.

I have a buddy who routinely recorded some illegal activity he stumbled upon on VHF for a few months . The recordings he had were sent to the FCC, by their request, as part of their evidence gathering activity. I know for a fact it was being done since I had an opportunity to hear one of his recordings. The people involved thought they found an unused frequency. Turns out the group being recorded had stupidly picked a military VHF frequency that wasn't currently being used in the area. Oops. Oh, yeah, they got busted and prosecuted for various crimes after a while.

Oh wow, I used to know a few people back when I first got my Ham license that would do that. I guess as long as they dont do it aggressively. I used to know a couple of guys who would straight up go mental over someone who was operating 5 watts instead of 2 watts. That, right there, is what gets people so scared of radio that they dont bother with it for fear of going to prison for 20 years and having a $10,000 fine hanging over their head. I am all for the people who turn in those who mess with essential services or military, but those who cry over a few watts or Hertz, and I have known a few, those people need to find another hobby.

9 hours ago, WRQC527 said:

I don't do this on VHF/UHF/GMRS because 99% of the time I'm driving or hiking, but it's very common on HF. For me it's more of a curiosity thing to look up a call sign on QRZ dot com just to see where they are

On the rare occasion I turn the radio on, if I hear someone new (new Ham or new to the area) and if I am not busy with something else, I sometimes look callsigns up on QRZ only because some Hams have their page done up really nice with some nice pics or something. 

20 hours ago, Lscott said:

One other thing I don't recommend is pilfering, or spoofing or faking, a call sign. 

For example on enough occasions I would talk to somebody for the first time on the air. Then was a bit put back when they knew my name and location that I never mentioned. Seems like people like to sit in front of the computer and look up call signs on the FCC's database while yacking on the radio. 😯

The only reason I do this on Ham is because some Hams have their page done up really nice. When it comes to GMRS or Ham in general (seeing I use simplex mostly) I like to see what sort of range I have, so knowing their location (namely the town or area, not so much their physical address) it helps map out my range on radio. Where I live, it is hilly and mountainous and when it comes to VHF and UHF the terrain affects your signals in such a weird way, its worth mapping out. Studying the affects of RF on the terrain around me is something I have always loved to do. It is one of the reasons why I love the VHF and UHF bands so much. I totally understand where you are coming from though. I have had conversations with people on GMRS before and I may have known their name and location before I even talked to them but I never mention it over the air. I let them say what they want to say. The only way to keep your location out of the FCC database is to get a PO box unfortunately or put your work address on your license? (not sure if that is legal but I have known people who did).  

57 minutes ago, WRQI583 said:

Oh wow, I used to know a few people back when I first got my Ham license that would do that. I guess as long as they dont do it aggressively. I used to know a couple of guys who would straight up go mental over someone who was operating 5 watts instead of 2 watts. That, right there, is what gets people so scared of radio that they dont bother with it for fear of going to prison for 20 years and having a $10,000 fine hanging over their head. I am all for the people who turn in those who mess with essential services or military, but those who cry over a few watts or Hertz, and I have known a few, those people need to find another hobby.

The group that was recorded were involved with some very illegal activity and were using two way radios to help facilitate it. They had the bad luck of picking the wrong frequency to use too.

56 minutes ago, WRQI583 said:

On the rare occasion I turn the radio on, if I hear someone new (new Ham or new to the area) and if I am not busy with something else, I sometimes look callsigns up on QRZ only because some Hams have their page done up really nice with some nice pics or something. 

I like spotting call sign license plates. If I can remember the call sign I'll look them up when I get to the office or get home. I'm curious to see if the Ham is recently licensed. It's encouraging when I do see they are.  

2 hours ago, Lscott said:

I like spotting call sign license plates. If I can remember the call sign I'll look them up when I get to the office or get home. I'm curious to see if the Ham is recently licensed. It's encouraging when I do see they are.  

I do that also. I think only one or two out of all the ones I've seen were not currently licensed. All the rest of them are up to date, but because Ham's in my area for some reason don't like to identify as a ham operator when it comes to their mobile vehicle, and that includes antennas sometimes, I don't see too many plates in my area. I think there's only four or five hams that actually have personalized plates. I always thought about getting it for my vehicle but I like to keep people wondering when they see my two little antennas.

1 hour ago, WRQI583 said:

I do that also. I think only one or two out of all the ones I've seen were not currently licensed. All the rest of them are up to date, but because Ham's in my area for some reason don't like to identify as a ham operator when it comes to their mobile vehicle, and that includes antennas sometimes, I don't see too many plates in my area. I think there's only four or five hams that actually have personalized plates. I always thought about getting it for my vehicle but I like to keep people wondering when they see my two little antennas.

I have one on my ride. Makes remembering my plate number easy. 🤔