Tough , water resistant GMRS HT

WRQK522

I’m looking for a more rugged GMRS radio . The most rugged GMRS radio I have is the GMRS pro . I’m just not sure it will hold up . The screen being the first thing to break is my guess. I have looked for items that might protect the screen but can’t find any .

If anyone has any suggestions I would appreciate them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On the pricier side but good quality the Wouxun KG-S88G. It’s IP67, it has a screen though it is smaller and it’s superheterodyne. On the cheaper side the Baofeng UV-9G. It is also IP67, smaller screen, not superheterodyne but duel band, more frequencies on RX. It’s cheep enough that if something happens you aren’t breaking the bank. 

I bought an old style (non tempered glass) screen protector for a tablet and cut screen protectors for all of my radios. While a screen protector will not stop a broken screen from a direct impact it will help and it keeps my screens scratch free. I have dropped several of my radios and still have pristine screens. As far as radios go, depending on you radio budget, the KG-905G is built like a tank and the aforementioned KG-S88G is my go everywhere radio, compact and tough.

9 minutes ago, WRHS218 said:

I bought an old style (non tempered glass) screen protector for a tablet and cut screen protectors for all of my radios. While a screen protector will not stop a broken screen from a direct impact it will help and it keeps my screens scratch free. I have dropped several of my radios and still have pristine screens. As far as radios go, depending on you radio budget, the KG-905G is built like a tank and the aforementioned KG-S88G is my go everywhere radio, compact and tough.

I have considered trying this. I’m glad to know someone had success with this. Did you use a regular glass cutter?

12 minutes ago, WRUU653 said:

I have considered trying this. I’m glad to know someone had success with this. Did you use a regular glass cutter?

I just used a good pair of scissors with the older film type screen protectors. Not perfect, but they work and can be replaced easily. I think BTWR sells one for the 935G.

• 2 months later...