Couple of questions

JamesBrox

First....Take it easy on me. Newie here 

1. How do I know I'm reaching (TX) a repeater, other than someone talking back? 

2. When programming repeaters in my radio, I see a few have of the repeater sites having the same freq also the same in and out tones. How do I know which repeater I'm listening (RX) to? 

Thanks  WRXU693  James

1. Most (not all, but most) repeaters will give you a "kerchunk" or squelch-tail sound after you unkey.  Some may have a roger-beep.
  2. If two repeaters in the same area are using the same channel and same tones, you wont know which you're listening to unless the signals are different enough to tell them apart; ie; one might be strong, the other might be weak.  Generally speaking, you will never find two nearby repeaters on the same channel with the same tones because it would be a clusterphuc. My bet is that one is out of service or its a duplicate listing.
  3. (Bonus response!) Welcome to the exciting GMRS lifestyle!

I had a 2-KG-1000G repeater setup for a while and IF i remember correctly, you have to change a setting in the menus/basically turning off the repeater functionality before you can use it as a simplex base station - but, that is based on my very unreliable 2+ year old memories.