Help With Icom 2730a Repeater Setup

WRYD480

Question

Hi - New Guy here.

I have an Icom 2730a mobile that I'm trying to set up to send and receive (in an emergency) on GMRS Channel 17=. 462.600.   I have local repeater owner permission with the Tx/Rx codes indicated with "dplxxx".  Same codes for both Tx/Rx.   I have successfully set up this repeater on my Wouxon KG-UV(D Mate.  On the mate the matching codes are under "DTC" not "CTC".  Offset is +5.000.

Anyway, when I set up the Icom  with:

Tone Mode:   DTCS

Offset:      +5.000

Code:  xxx.                      (Trying here to be respectful of the repeater owner and not publish the codes)

DTCS-P.      Both N.     Polarity   note:  with the Wouxon the code "DxxxN" works for both Tx/Rx

Any Icom owners out there?   I am stumped.  I thought I knew radios (old ham here WR1Y) but this one has me puzzled.  BTW, the 2730a has been modified.

What am I missing?

WRYD480.   Dan

8 answers to this question

I'm not sure what the question is here, other than maybe when you put all this programming into your Icom, you're not able to access the repeater. Sometimes modding a radio allows it to transmit out of band, but settings like offset are not programmed by Icom to carry over to frequencies outside the amateur radio frequencies. The owner of such a radio would need to enter transmit and receive frequencies separately and not rely on the + and - settings that are factory-programmed for amateur radio frequencies.

Been a bit since I've messed with programming, and none of what I have in mine uses DCS, but the naming in the icom is a little bit different than some of the other brands. I want to say the R tones are actually transmit tones, and the C tones are receive tones. Will try to poke at it in a bit and see if I can be a bit more specific.

Thanks to both of you!  Wife and I just retired in the last year and have been traveling (RV - trailer) all over the US.   Have had the Wouxon GMRS for a few weeks and having more fun!   

Simplex on the 2730a is 100%.  We use the little bubble pack FRS radios in areas where there is little cell signal- like out west in BLM lands.

Thanks again!

I'll have to look at it a little more. Between what I saw in the menu, and what you have above, I think you're on the right track. The only thing I think is missing is to tell it if the offset should be + or -.

If this is the missed step, the giveaway would be to monitor 462.700 and 467.700 with no tone set, and key up the icom...if the signal is on 462.700, it's not applying the offset. If it's on 467.700, the tone settings are likely where the problem lies.

OP here....GOOD NEWS!

Under the "Tone" settings the Icom 2730a has several choices.  According to the Icom manual -  "DTC.OFF" is defined as: 

When you transmit, the selected DTCS code is superimposed on your normal signal.
When you receive, the function is OFF.

This setting does not show in the tone settings in CHIRP (??) but is in the Icom manual.  I read it but thought "I need the tone for TX and RX" so I didn't try it.

This morning I used the faceplate entry to try EVERY tone setting - even this "DTC.OFF".  Result was VOILA! It worked!  Backed the truck out and had a nice chat through the target repeater.

Still a head-scratcher, though

Good to know that it will now work...in case of emergency.

Maybe this will help the next poor soul!   Thanks for all the input!

WRYD480

WR1Y

On 8/7/2023 at 3:12 PM, WRYD480 said:

OP here....GOOD NEWS!

Under the "Tone" settings the Icom 2730a has several choices.  According to the Icom manual -  "DTC.OFF" is defined as: 

When you transmit, the selected DTCS code is superimposed on your normal signal.
When you receive, the function is OFF.

This setting does not show in the tone settings in CHIRP (??) but is in the Icom manual.  I read it but thought "I need the tone for TX and RX" so I didn't try it.

This morning I used the faceplate entry to try EVERY tone setting - even this "DTC.OFF".  Result was VOILA! It worked!  Backed the truck out and had a nice chat through the target repeater.

Still a head-scratcher, though

Good to know that it will now work...in case of emergency.

Maybe this will help the next poor soul!   Thanks for all the input!

WRYD480

WR1Y

My question would be how did you get your 2730a to TX on 467.xxx? Should only be able to transmit up to 450, right?

EDIT: perhaps you have the export version 

V1Rotate-

I'm revisiting this message. Don't want to sound like a "jerk" in my previous message.  The Mars mod "should" open up that frequency.

For example, I have my 2730a set up so I can scan all the GMRS/FRS frequencies as a choice when driving around, etc. In my area there are only a couple of active repeaters. On a recent cross-country trip, I heard a few conversations. I tried to reply but didnt have the correct tones, etc. Still had fun just listening.

Good Luck, WRYD480.      ham= WR1Y