Newbie (GMRS)

WRYD269

Hello all,  I just purchased a Wouxun KG935G plus. Thanks to Not a Rubicon reviews. Just learning how everything works.  Can I listen to my local emergency frequencies?  Are they blocked on radios? I barely hear any action on my radio out of the box. I bought it mainly to keep on my jeep when I head out to the trails. (Newbie here). 

If I remember correctly the city of Santa Clarita doesn't have a police department. They have a Los Angelas County Sheriff's Department substation there, Santa Clarita Valley Sheriff's Station. If it is still that way then their radios are above 480.0000 MHz which puts them out of the range of the KG-935G Plus. Hopefully someone can give you a more up to date answer. The KG-935G Plus is a fun radio either way.

7 minutes ago, WRYD269 said:

You are correct, SCV has Sheriff's Department. I just want to be informed of what's happening around my surroundings. when I hear sirens or see a helicopter flying around my area.

I understand. In my area LEO and Fire all still use VHF and I listen on the 935G. A few small towns are using UHF in the 460's. Unfortunately LA county is using UHF that we can't get on the 935G. Good luck.