TK880 Programing

WRYI632

Question

Hello everyone ! 

Long time follower first time poster. I was a licensed HAM active for about 7 years and I al trying to get back into the swing of things. 

I have a Kenwood TK 880 (no -1 -2 or anything just TK880 as pictured. 

I have acquired a programming cable and software (KPG-49D) which by all accounts and research appears to be the correct software but when I attempt to read the radio it tells me the software does not support the model radio.

When it’s attempting to read the radio says “programming” but then resets when the software cannot read it. 

Am I missing a key piece to this puzzle ? Any help is appreciated. Thanks !  

IMG_3395.jpeg

7 answers to this question

There is a chance that firmware in the radio is ether LTR firmware or Sholer Johnson Passport firmware. If first case, you should be able to run Fpro utility (flash programming) from the KPG-49D suite to flash a genuine Kenwood firmware and make the radio compatible with PG-49D. In the second case situation is more complex, since you'd need a WinSJI software to enable the reflash of the firmware.

But start with first things first.

1. Make sure your power adapter is capable of at least 8A at 12V. Normally, you'd need less, but that's the spec.

2. Make sure there is no misconfiguration of your USB-to-serial adapter. Keep experimenting with COM speed, trying to read from the radio.

3. Try to press SCN button and power on the radio to see if it greets you with PROG 56700 on the panel. In that case you can reflash the firmware.

On 8/28/2023 at 5:29 AM, nokones said:

I'm using software Version 4.20 with my TK880 with no problems on a Windows 11 computer.

Well I've been messing with it off and on for a week, I am starting to think it is the software I'm using (from HamFiles) that is my issue. 

Does anyone want to give me a suggestion for other software? At this point I'm willing to pay for it as well. 

Some people unfortunately end up with a USB programming cable built with a counterfeit Prolific chip. The drivers are designed to detect those and refuse to work. 

Since you’re using Win11 I don’t think there is and old version of the driver that you can download without the counterfeit chip detect logic.

Your best bet is using a cable built with a FTDI chip, different manufacturer. People have extremely good luck with those cables. 

https://bluemax49ers.com

The gentleman also is an excellent source for radio programming software when you buy a cable from him. Many on this forum have done business with the vendor. Highly recommended.

As another mentioned the radio might be flashed with the “Passport” firmware, not the standard Kenwood LMR type. This is NOT compatible with the software you have. You need to locate and use the special Passport radio programing software. 

If you’re lucky the firmware flashing feature is enabled in the radio. Try flashing the standard LMR firmware for you radio’s hardware version. Then try programming again.

Also are you sure the radio doesn’t have a read/write password set? That is guaranteed to screw up when writing to the radio if the write password is set.

17 hours ago, Lscott said:

Some people unfortunately end up with a USB programming cable built with a counterfeit Prolific chip. The drivers are designed to detect those and refuse to work. 

Since you’re using Win11 I don’t think there is and old version of the driver that you can download without the counterfeit chip detect logic.

Your best bet is using a cable built with a FTDI chip, different manufacturer. People have extremely good luck with those cables. 

https://bluemax49ers.com

The gentleman also is an excellent source for radio programming software when you buy a cable from him. Many on this forum have done business with the vendor. Highly recommended.

I have been able to successfully use the cable to program 3 TK-863G's so I think the cable is OKAY however thank you for the recommendation.