New Member Intro

WRYK544

Well long time lurker, first time joining.  I have been looking into GMRS heavily for the past 6 month or so before making the leap. Before that I had plans on getting my HAM license but just did not have the motivation to go take the test.  Studied, have a good knowledge with my EE background and previous friends and family that are HAM operators.  For my needs GMRS will do all that I really need.  In the mountains here in Colorado the repeater network is going to be more key I imagine.  

Current Setup

1. Midland MTX-500 - mounted with a 3db Midland Ghost antenna,  Also have the base 2dB antenna and a 6dB Midland whip antenna.

2. Midland MTX-575J - (Wife had to have the Jeep Logo) with same antennas

3. A set of Midland GTX1000 - that I bought on a whim a few years back for some spotting.

4. Wouxun KG-UV6D - mobile unit I bought about 4 yrs back with a different HAM base station, that I have since kicked myself for getting rid of.

So far other than install and getting my proper GMRS Callsign, I have not had much time to do to much.  

Seems like the extra channels end up being the channels for 15-22 with different DCS codes for TX and RX  for simplex type of channels.   Then some for specific repeaters in your area, again with different combinations of DCS or CTCSC. 

In looking at the sight seems most of the groups are east coast based, Any from the Colorado front range anywhere?

Look forward to getting to know everyone, already seen some good tidbits that I am learning as we go.  If you have suggestions or places for information please feel free to post away!!!