Retevis RT22 2016

WRWB851

I have a set of Retevis RT22 HT's from 2016. It appears to me that the 2016 version was a 2W/5W output with 16 channels, none of which are in the current GMRS/FRS band. The recent incarnation of the RT22 looks to be a lower power FRS/business variant. Retevis stresses these are fixed antenna, license-free radios, and the radios I have indeed bear no FCC markings whatsoever.

Is it legal to operate these radios in their 2016 configuration? Are they legal to operate if configured to the current GMRS/FRS frequencies?

I could find no information from either FCC rules and regulations or Retevis that connects pre-2017 equipment and rules to the current versions. I would appreciate input on this from anyone more experienced than I.

13 minutes ago, WRWB851 said:

I have a set of Retevis RT22 HT's from 2016. It appears to me that the 2016 version was a 2W/5W output with 16 channels, none of which are in the current GMRS/FRS band. The recent incarnation of the RT22 looks to be a lower power FRS/business variant. Retevis stresses these are fixed antenna, license-free radios, and the radios I have indeed bear no FCC markings whatsoever.

Is it legal to operate these radios in their 2016 configuration? Are they legal to operate if configured to the current GMRS/FRS frequencies?

I could find no information from either FCC rules and regulations or Retevis that connects pre-2017 equipment and rules to the current versions. I would appreciate input on this from anyone more experienced than I.

If they were not certified for GMRS use at that time they could not be considered “grandfathered”. 

If they don’t operate on the frequencies and at the powers listed in 95E, they’re not GMRS or FRS compatible.

If you configure them to comply with part 95 you might be able to get away without anyone ever knowing, but technically you would not be “legal”.

Thanks for weighing in. Your thoughts pretty much mirror what I came up with, but it seems weird that an unlicensed service on configurable non-FCC marked equipment can't be made legal now.

I would  use these radios to keep in touch with my grandson and his friends while at the park, playground, beach, etc. And the RT22 is so incredibly goof-proof for kids to use. A shame.

Thanks again.