Connectors, Connectors and Connectors

WRUE951

Anyone ever think of the numerous types of UHF connectors we have to choose from..  The list i show below is just a small handful but seems to  be the most common types we encounter..   The Question of the day is:  Which one is better for our purpose?    Just in my shack i'm using 5 different types due to the equipment manufactures choice.  Most recently i got a Hytera mobile with BNC connectors..  When you think about it,, we have spent a lot of cash on our connector adapter arsenal..   I challenge NotARubicon to do a video on this to open our minds..   Which one is really better???? 

1 minute ago, WRXB215 said:

@Sshannon I've been confused more than once on the PL259/SO239 you mention. Are you saying that they are actually the same thing? Thanks.

Yes.

SO-239 is the SOcket.  PL-259 is the PLug.  I have no idea why the number is different. 

25 minutes ago, WRXB215 said:

Thank you @Sshannon, that clears it up. I will click the thanks when I get some new reactions.

One nice thing about the PL-259 and SO-239.  There’s only one of each.  A PL-259 will fit into an SO-239 every time.

With other connectors you have to specify gender (N-male and N-female) and sometimes, such as with the SMA, that can take multiple forms: male, female, RP male, and RP female.