Repeater challenges San Fernando Valley

WRYU810

Hey,

I am a super newbie here. I have a question. Maybe a couple of questions. 1. I am trying to reach local repeaters I have tried all of the ones that are open and input the correct tones etc but it seems no one can hear me and I don't hear much traffic if at all. 2. I DO however hear people talking from Arizona with people within 5-10 miles of me but again they are unable to hear me. 

I am in the San Fernando valley, Sherman oaks. Is anyone in this area that might have some insight?

Maybe these aren't even questions... IDK. Any info would be greatly appreciated! 

I have a a couple of Baofeng GM-15 pro's and a Baofeng TP% I play with (Yes I know thats not a gmrs radio, I am just listening on it)

S

@WRYU810 A couple things come to mind. It is possible to hear a repeater that you can't reach. Repeaters are usually in a higher position and have more power and can reach farther than your radio may. You may not have the right input tone for what you are hearing. When you go to the map page click on the gear in the upper left hand corner and select offline and stale repeaters, sometimes repeaters are still active even though they show as stale. Stale just means that it hasn't been updated on the site in over a year. So you may be hearing some other repeater than you think. You may want to leave the RX tones off on your radio until you know you have set things up to access the repeater. By leaving the RX (receive tones) on your radio off your radio will hear everything on the channel you are listening to regardless of if it is coming from the repeater. How are you programming  your radio for repeaters?  Repeater channels are generally set up from channel 23-30, 31-38... by making sure you program in the appropriate location on the radio the required offset of +5 will automatically set. This will make your radio TX on 467.xxx and receive on 462.xxx. As for hearing Arizona, it's possible the repeater you are hearing is part of a linked system. If you can show us what you programmed we may be able to dial in what is happening better. I hope this info is helpful. 

side note, I have no experience with your particular radio so someone may have more insight on that than I.

Edited by WRUU653
radio info

Okay, change your settings on DILA to none on RX and 103.5 on TX. and the TX should be 467.550.

Eaton should be 467.650 on the TX. Sheep looks correct but may or may not be reachable or active. Same issue with VNC, it should be 467.600 on TX.

The numbers after the decimal should be the same on TX and RX only the TX is +5 making it 467.xxx and RX is 462.xxx. The TX in your radio is what you are sending to the repeater and the RX is what you are receiving. 

Take a look at the frequencies on channels 23-30. The frequencies on channels 31-38 should match those, they are your eight repeater frequency settings. 

Edited by WRUU653
more info

33 minutes ago, WRUU653 said:

Okay, change your settings on DILA to none on RX and 103.5 on TX. and the TX should be 467.550.

Eaton should be 467.650 on the TX. Sheep looks correct but may or may not be reachable or active. Same issue with VNC, it should be 467.600 on TX

Take a look at the frequencies on channels 23-30. The frequencies on channels 31-38 should match those, they are your eight repeater frequncey settings. 

Alright! Moved some stuff around all seems quiet for now though. I usually hear traffic mornings and night:

image.thumb.png.ad40f48897a88b0bb9d7a4370f2315dc.png

7 hours ago, WRYU810 said:

image.thumb.png.e49629ae3e2386ed32f3601a15973acc.png

Go under the Help menu to About... What version are you using?

You should be using version 2.06, available here:

https://www.radioddity.com/pages/radioddity-download

Screen Shot 2023-10-18 at 8.24.55 PM.png

Screenshot.png

The earlier version had the problem of the wrong transmission frequencies on transmit on some channels and was fixed on the updated version.

19 minutes ago, WRYS709 said:

Screen Shot 2023-10-18 at 8.24.55 PM.png

Screenshot.png

The earlier version had the problem of the wrong transmission frequencies on transmit on some channels and was fixed on the updated version.

I have to say when he posted that I was wondering how it got so messed up. This makes sense. 👍

http://files.mygmrs.com/forums/monthly_2023_10/ScreenShot2023-10-18at8_24_55PM.png.cf52164373a26ab650390eff4da3ceb6.png
http://files.mygmrs.com/forums/monthly_2023_10/Screenshot.thumb.png.021b6a2e187909382896c03a83910d39.png

I’m gonna go do this today as well! Hope it works!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 4 weeks later...