Can Transmit in Frequency Mode but not Pre-set repeater channels

WRWE607

Hey guys,

I am brand new to the GMRS world and just got a Wouxon KG-935G. I’m having trouble transmitting to a nearby repeater in the pre-set repeater mode. According to my user manual, RPT-20 is at the specific frequency needed. I adjusted the TX-CTCSS and RX-CTCSS to the correct tone and I get nothing. But if I change the radio to frequency mode and enter the correct frequency, TX-CTCSS and RX-CTCSS. I can transmit no problem. Any idea why I can transmit on frequency mode and not in the pre-set repeater mode?

thanks!

• When you say you "get nothing", are you saying it does not transmit, or you dont think you are hitting the repeater?
  • What frequency are you entering when in Frequency mode - and are you saying you can hit the repeater in frequency mode, or you are just able to transmit?

On 10/26/2023 at 6:24 PM, OffRoaderX said:
  • When you say you "get nothing", are you saying it does not transmit, or you dont think you are hitting the repeater?
  • What frequency are you entering when in Frequency mode - and are you saying you can hit the repeater in frequency mode, or you are just able to transmit?

So I have two Wouxon kg-935g, when in frequency mode I am able to transmit on one radio and hear the transmission on the other. I am transmitting on frequency 462.675. When I say “I get nothing” I mean that I transmit and do not hear my transmission in my other radio nor do I get any sort of feedback from the repeater.

to be honest, I though that if I could transmit, that would mean I am hitting the repeater. Is that not the case? Again, super new to this. I really appreciate your comments and advice!

No, just because you can transmit does not mean you can/are/will hit the repeater. You can confirm if you are hitting the repeater by listening for the "kerchunk" or 'kickback' when you unkey the radio or by someone answering you on the repeater.  

Try getting your two radios more than 50 feet apart then try again.  If the radios are too close you may not hear yourself through the repeater on the other radio.

20 minutes ago, WRWE607 said:

I am transmitting on frequency 462.675.

In addition to info from @OffRoaderX and because you mentioned that you can transmit in frequency mode, if you are transmitting on 462.675 you also won't hit a repeater. 462.675 is a repeater receive frequency (or simplex channel 20). Your repeater channels will have the +5 offset automatically set. In this case it puts your transmit at 467.675. When you transmit on a repeater channel your other radio won't hear it unless you hit the repeater because your other radio is not receiving on the frequency that you are transmitting on. I hope that helps.