Pulling my hair out trying to connect w/ repeaters

WRZI350

Question

Im pretty new to all of this, but have spent a considerable amount of time reading, watching videos (notarubicon dude is awesome)and messing around with front panel programming as well as CHIRP. I have been using GMRS channels without issue, so I decided to move on to programming in local repeaters with no luck connecting. I am using a UV5R to get my feet wet and like I said I am using CHIRP. I've tried two repeaters well within range and have not been able to get a tail response to acknowledge that I'm connecting on either so I don't know what else to do. For example, a local repeater is listed as 462.725 with Tone of 225.7. In CHIRP, I have 462.725, the repeaters name, TONE 225.7 (Ive tried both TONE and TSQL), Duplex +, Offset 5, Mode FM, Power High. The repeater is listed to be capable of 25 miles and I am within a few miles of it. I have tried both inside and outside. Same with another local repeater. What could I be missing? FYI I'm also using a Nagoya 701 antenna.

Thanks in advance for any help. 

Screenshot 2023-11-07 at 7.08.01 PM.png

8 answers to this question

31 minutes ago, WRXH357 said:

Change TONE MODE to Tone.  Move the value 225.7 to the TONE column.  Verify ops.

I tried that, but it is still not working. In CHIRP Advanced Settings I noticed there are a couple settings related to squelch tail eliminate that were checked as "on", so I turned them off and still not able to get a tail acknowledgment. 

Screenshot 2023-11-07 at 8.43.26 PM.png

2 hours ago, WRZI350 said:

I tried that, but it is still not working. In CHIRP Advanced Settings I noticed there are a couple settings related to squelch tail eliminate that were checked as "on", so I turned them off and still not able to get a tail acknowledgment. 

Screenshot 2023-11-07 at 8.43.26 PM.png

Not all repeaters are configured to give a tail.