FT-891

tweiss3

2 hours ago, marcspaz said:

I've been in bed sick yesterday and today. When I'm feeling better, I'll go take a look.

I had influenza A right after Christmas, then something that followed right afterwards. For two weeks I was pretty worthless (here’s your chance @OffRoaderX).

I hope you get better quickly. 

Mars mod took all of 30 seconds, but did not open the quick split range.

Firmware is current Main V01-10, DSP V02-05, LCD V01-01

I also emailed RT Systems to see if they could update the software. This is the only radio I have that doesn't allow typing in the transmit frequency, and I have RT Systems for almost every ham radio I own.

So, i was feeling better today and went outside to play with the radio. Evidently my memory is trash.  My quick split maximum is +/- 20k, not 20m. I haven't used 6m in 2 years, and I don't know what I was doing for the odd offsets. Sorry I led you off in the wrong direction. 

I will tell you this, if I were to start using them today, I would reprogram them so the memory channel has the transmit side saved, and manual offset the receive side, so I don't have to program 2 channels with tones. But, I stopped using 6m because there is literally no one for me to talk to. I am pretty sure I have made 1 voice contact (excluding my son) in 20 years.

No problem Marc, It was a good exercise in really understanding the radio.

RR has no response to my question. The groups.io didn't have any solution, but suggested I reach out to RT Systems. 

RT Systems went back and forth with me a few times. It turns out the memory structure was designed to only allow a single offset for 6 meters and a single offset for 10 meters (probably to save memory size). There isn't anything they can change in their program that would allow multiple offsets for 6 meter repeater memories. 

My solution is to put a TX and RX memory next to each other, and if I need that repeater, just jog back and forth between the memories. Not ideal, but better than messing with VFO or other buttons and hitting the wrong one ruining the memories.

I do find it annoying that you can't dual receive on both A and B at the same time.

23 minutes ago, tweiss3 said:

I do find it annoying that you can't dual receive on both A and B at the same time.

I haven’t noticed any mobile HF radios with dual receivers.  Several have dual VFOs, like the FT-891.  If you truly want dual receivers you’re looking at $3200 radios like the Icom IC-7610 or the Yaesu FT-DX101mp or FT-DX101D models.

Just now, Sshannon said:

I haven’t noticed any mobile HF radios with dual receivers.  Several have dual VFOs, like the FT-891.  If you truly want dual receivers you’re looking at $3200 radios like the Icom IC-7610 or the Yaesu FT-DX101mp or FT-DX101D models.

You are right. I guess I'm more annoyed that you have to leave the VFO B on the screen, which is pointless. On the FTM400, you can't turn off the B band, but it will do dual receive. Every other HF radio that has dual VFO literally doesn't show the B band unless you are using it for split (817, 450D, 705, 7300).

24 minutes ago, tweiss3 said:

You are right. I guess I'm more annoyed that you have to leave the VFO B on the screen, which is pointless. On the FTM400, you can't turn off the B band, but it will do dual receive. Every other HF radio that has dual VFO literally doesn't show the B band unless you are using it for split (817, 450D, 705, 7300).

My ft-dx10 always shows the B band, and I agree that it sometimes just takes up real estate on the screen.