Kenwood TK-880H Ver2 Problem Scanning Channels

drexel55

Question

Just purchased a TK-880H and programmed all the GMRS frequencies into radio.  I used KPG-49D software and everything works perfect but I can't get it to scan.   I only have about thirty frequencies entered but it won't scan the channels.  I have only one group programmed.   Anyone have a suggestion for a change in software entries or anyother technical fix. Thanks  D. Neal WRZL870 Georgetown, KY

3 answers to this question

3 minutes ago, drexel55 said:

Just purchased a TK-880H and programmed all the GMRS frequencies into radio.  I used KPG-49D software and everything works perfect but I can't get it to scan.   I only have about thirty frequencies entered but it won't scan the channels.  I have only one group programmed.   Anyone have a suggestion for a change in software entries or anyother technical fix. Thanks  D. Neal WRZL870 Georgetown, KY

Not sure what Kenwood would call the feature (others more familiar with kenwood likely will), but some/many LMR radios have a feature that may be referred to as "on hook scanning". I ran into this with my vertex stuff, and the fix was to ground the mic holder button to the radio. I also had one mic where the ground wire to the button was broken, but a quick solder and it was back to normal.

3 hours ago, drexel55 said:

Thanks I will recheck setup.  I have tried the mic grounding and that did not solve the problem.

Gotcha. Settings are a definite possibility, but any chance of swapping mics with another working unit to test and rule out a fault there?

That was what clued me in on the broken wire in mine...swapping between one working and one not, and which part (cord vs mic) the problem followed.