Ordered a Baofeng GM-15 Pro GMRS Radio. CHRIP Question.

WSAA635

Question

Wanted to get an inexpensive radio to keep in the truck and didn't want to use anything expensive. Seems to be decent enough. I'm going to want to try to unlock it so I can program other frequencies into it to listen to but wonder which Baofeng radio in CHIRP would be compatible with it since it's not directly listed. Here's a list of what I've got, which one would be close enough to work? Thanks.

Baofeng.jpg

8 answers to this question

On 1/22/2024 at 9:17 PM, WSAA635 said:

I'm going to want to try to unlock it so I can program other frequencies into it to listen to...

This radio does not require any "unlocking" to listen to frequencies other than GMRS within its stated band limits.

As far as "unlocking" for the ability to transmit outside of GMRS, as of the date of this post, there has been no known way to unlock this radio or its clones: Pofung UV-15 and Radioddity GM-30.

There is a "ham radio" version of this radio, the Baofeng UV-13Pro, that comes unlocked; and it requires its own version programming software to be downloaded.