Family use of gnrs

Guest Fullyloaded

Guest Fullyloaded

I was reading online one license covers all your family members. Do they have to live in the same household to apply? My adult children all live separately so I'm wondering if each time needs to be licensed...?

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/25/2024 at 1:19 PM, Guest Fullyloaded said:

I was reading online one license covers all your family members. Do they have to live in the same household to apply? My adult children all live separately so I'm wondering if each time needs to be licensed...?

No, they do not need to live in the same household. You are authorized to allow your adult children and their children to operate using your license. 

There is a troubling habit among folks both here and on other radio forums to read into, add, change, or delete words from the FCC part 95 regulations. The following is copied directly from the FCC Part 95 regulations concerning who is covered under an individual license holder's license, not including grandfathered GMRS licenses that no one can get these days. It's best to follow the FCC regulations exactly as written, without encumbering oneself with "what ifs".  

"Any individual who holds an individual license may allow his or her immediate family members to operate his or her GMRS station or stations. Immediate family members are the licensee's spouse, children, grandchildren, stepchildren, parents, grandparents, stepparents, brothers, sisters, aunts, uncles, nieces, nephews, and in-laws."