HAM repeater bleeding onto GMRS 16?

73blazer

• 1 month later...
On 2/12/2024 at 12:24 PM, WRQC527 said:

The stuff that drives me nuts is the old men who talk about their health problems. Strokes, gout, oozing wounds, cancers, the whole gamut of issues. Totally depressing. My friends and I are very active hiking, off roading, camping, shooting, fishing, metal detecting, rockhounding, candy making, beer making, meat smoking, you name it, there's someone in our club that does it. And sometimes we even talk about radios.

whoa whoa whoa there guy.  Don't spoil it for those of us who like to hear about some random strangers prostate exam results on the air.   😀

3 hours ago, WRQI663 said:

WRQC527 what do you care if we talk about what ails us???? Some day you will be the one complaining. We don't care if you don't like it either so why don't you

get out your crayons and draw your mommie another picture.

I’m a member of a 40 meter net that meets three times per week. One guy was always getting on and complaining about various problems until one day he died.  
Perhaps talking to us about his problems was comforting to him in some way but it certainly didn’t improve his situation. Maybe he should have been communicating with his doctor instead. 

Frankly, I think it’s stupid to announce medical problems and other personal information on-air. It makes you more vulnerable to hackers and identity thieves.

Not only that but it is often disgusting. Fortunately, with ham radio I have a multitude of alternative frequencies and even bands. With GMRS, the hapless users are limited to 8 repeater channels. 

I like the HF digital modes such as FT4 and FT8 since I don't have to hear anything like that. Digital modes send signal reports and that is it. I know some old curmudgeons say that digital modes aren't  for real radio operators, but I ignore them.

Again, if you don't like the conversation you are listening to ---- this is not the spark gap world.......TURN THE DIAL to another channel (or frequency)

Wait until you get those 'ailments'  -- Oh, don't wait.....they'll be coming to you weather you like it or not. Should I laugh or complain about you?

Know what bothers me? I am also an amateur radio operator, but I really hate GMRS becoming "ham" radio lite......quit using it like it is.

Go back to CB

On 2/12/2024 at 12:24 PM, WRQC527 said:

The stuff that drives me nuts is the old men who talk about their health problems. Strokes, gout, oozing wounds, cancers, the whole gamut of issues. Totally depressing. My friends and I are very active hiking, off roading, camping, shooting, fishing, metal detecting, rockhounding, candy making, beer making, meat smoking, you name it, there's someone in our club that does it. And sometimes we even talk about radios.

I never hear the health net reports on UHF/VHF.  Seems the Tapeworm Net and the Sweaty Piles Net are usually on 75m (HF CB Radio).