Anytone vs Wouxun?

WSAQ578

I am currently looking at a couple of rigs and trying to decide between the two.  Anytone AT-5888UV iii vs Wouxun KG-UV980P.  I would use it as a mobile/base.  Later I will have a dedicated unit for the base as well as a mobile.  I currently have a Wouxun KG-UV9PX on the way to me.
I am studying for the Technician & General License.  I let my Ham License expire 20 years ago.  I would mostly be using 2 meters and GMRS initially but may branch out to other bands.  I also plan on getting a 10 meter rig.  I will probably eventually get a dedicated rig for GMRS such as the Wouxun KG-1000G Plus. 
I am curious as to what others think of the two radios.  Is one better than the other?  Any compelling reasons to select one or the other?  I keep going back and forth between them so I haven’t pulled the trigger yet.

Which service are you going to use more?

Not that I cadone it, but it is much easier to open GMRS frequencies then the other way around on most radios. Ie CAP modding a ham radio.

Especially, if you are positive you are going to get your ticket again. It's about a 1000x (times) easier now a days since the cw requirement is gone now. Hell might as well get your general. 578 will be great if you are going to get into DMR. They have new model comming out that is essentially a 578 brick where you can option out the blue tooth mic.

Personally, running a FTM400XDR and a Motorola XTL 5000 (UHF). The XTL5K, is going to be replaced with a Harris 100m. So I can retain Gmrs/p25 capabilities on one radio and 2m/70cm with aprs on the other radio. The only real things the Harris brings over the XTL, is VHF and 700/800. The low band VHF amplifier is impossible to find, so that will be receive only.

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

On 2/20/2024 at 10:50 PM, WRWE456 said:

If you are thinking of getting a KG-1000G later it may make sense to go with KG-UV980P as they are the same basic radio. I have the KG-1000G Plus. It is a very nice radio.

I am leaning that way.  My HT comes in today.  Thought I would play with it before pulling the trigger.

12 hours ago, kidphc said:

Which service are you going to use more?

That is a great question which I have put some thought into. 
GMRS is going to be for a circle of family & friends who mostly likely won't venture in the Amateur side.  We are looking to set ourselves up so we can communicate without cell phones if needed.  We are in Florida and want to be able to communicate if we get hit with a major hurricane.  Also for some odds and end stuff.
2 meters I need for Skywarn and ARES.  I am in process of becoming a certified weather spotter.  I am an avid boater, even though I have a marine radio, having a back up for the marine frequencies is a plus.
10 meters is where I spent most of my time in the past.
Once I get active, things may change.  At this point I still don't know where most of the activity is for this area and who hangs out where.

Depending on where in Florida, you are going to have good to incredible GMRS repeater service.

Personally, I would be looking at no less then a dual bander with dual recieve radios.

The 578 like the 878 are a dual recieve but only have one true transmitter. Which may effect how you would use it. I haven't seen away to unlock the 1000g to do anything but recieve on 2m. Although the amateur version of the radio, I have seen a software/firmware hack opening up the GMRS frequencies. The second problem becomes the antenna, since most dual band/triband radios do a crappy job of trying to do both GMRS and 2m. One of the two has crappy performance, although sometimes JUST acceptable.

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk