New to all this...

WSAW855

Question

Hello all, 

I am setting up a base station at my home and once I figure out the best equipment, I plan on doing the same for my nearby family members.  My equipment plan is to get a Midland STX 500 mobile radio with a Tram 1486 UHF Antenna.  Were spread out between Menifee, Hemet, Winchester, and French Valley.  The nearest repeater I have found is 625 - Hemet SHTF (Thornton Ave. cross of S. Buena Vista St., Hemet, CA.)  It appears we all have a somewhat straight shot to it but I am concerned about the mountain range that may be blocking my line of sight.  My location is Menifee Road and Craig Ave., Menifee, CA.  My question to the experts out there is whether this equipment is going to work with the repeater and is there anything else I am going to need?  Thank you all for your insight in advance.

WSAW855

2 answers to this question

The equipment will work, but nobody will be able to accurately answer your question about whether or not you will be able to hit the repeater.  The only way to know for sure is to try it.

However I would look into some of the other repeaters in your area that may have coverage where you are: Crestline, DILA, Santiago, & Mesa Crest.