Giving a Retevis RA89 a try.

Ok, so I used some of the refund for the H3's and ordered a Retevis RA89. I saw a "hack" to unlock it so it'll work with GMRS and it's also CHIRP Next compatible so I should be able to program it easily. Yes, I KNOW it's a 10 watt HAM Radio so it's not "legal" for GMRS but truthfully I don't think it matters all that much out in the middle of the desert and the extra power will help me reach out just a touch further.  I just hope my H8 doesn't give me any issues because it seems like a good, solid built radio. I don't plan on upgrading the firmware on it either, if it ain't broke, don't fix it, LOL.

14 hours ago, WSAA635 said:

Ok, so I used some of the refund for the H3's and ordered a Retevis RA89. I saw a "hack" to unlock it so it'll work with GMRS and it's also CHIRP Next compatible so I should be able to program it easily. Yes, I KNOW it's a 10 watt HAM Radio so it's not "legal" for GMRS but truthfully I don't think it matters all that much out in the middle of the desert and the extra power will help me reach out just a touch further.  I just hope my H8 doesn't give me any issues because it seems like a good, solid built radio. I don't plan on upgrading the firmware on it either, if it ain't broke, don't fix it, LOL.

Transmitting 10 watts, actually up to 50 watts,  on a handheld is allowed on all of the main GMRS channels, just not onthe interstitial channels.  On 15-22 and 23-30 you could transmit 50 watts as long as your batteries held out and you were crazy enough to transmit 50 watts inches from your head.

It’s simply the fact that it’s not designed and certified for 95E that makes you a rule breaker. 🙂