Hypothetical Scenario: What would happen?

Webslinger

Question

An event happens that shuts down the electrical grid and cell phone service. My wife and I are trying to communicate using GMRS radio. We have already tested our HT's and determined Tx/Rx distance in our community so that we might stay in contact from certain pre-planned locations. I have programmed a privacy tone into our radios on a specific channel (not 8-14, and not any repeaters), so that we can hopefully communicate without interference.

Now, let's say that channel is 17. My wife and I are within simplex communication range, again with a programmed privacy tone, and their are 20 other GMRS radios within that same range using the same channel, but they have not programmed in the privacy code my wife and I are using. So questions...

If all GMRS operators within range are using channel 17 and transmitting at the same time, what happens? Will the channel be overwhelmed by traffic, and would that traffic interfere with my ability to communicate with my wife, and vice-versa, even though we are using a privacy tone? I understand the privacy tone isn't real privacy, and others on the channel will hear what we say. My goal is to have a clear and uninterrupted means of communication with my wife.

Thoughts?

8 hours ago, Webslinger said:

An event happens that shuts down the electrical grid and cell phone service. My wife and I are trying to communicate using GMRS radio. We have already tested our HT's and determined Tx/Rx distance in our community so that we might stay in contact from certain pre-planned locations. I have programmed a privacy tone into our radios on a specific channel (not 8-14, and not any repeaters), so that we can hopefully communicate without interference.

Now, let's say that channel is 17. My wife and I are within simplex communication range, again with a programmed privacy tone, and their are 20 other GMRS radios within that same range using the same channel, but they have not programmed in the privacy code my wife and I are using. So questions...

If all GMRS operators within range are using channel 17 and transmitting at the same time, what happens? Will the channel be overwhelmed by traffic, and would that traffic interfere with my ability to communicate with my wife, and vice-versa, even though we are using a privacy tone? I understand the privacy tone isn't real privacy, and others on the channel will hear what we say. My goal is to have a clear and uninterrupted means of communication with my wife.

Thoughts?

You're going to get a lot of warbles and wha-whas and not understand anything being said.