Firmware Upgrade on Retevis RA89 didn't take.

WSAA635

Question

I downloaded everything. Followed the instructions to a "T" and keep getting "Communication Timed Out" message and check the baud rate. I know everything is set up right, I have WINE set to Win10 and even tried Win11, I've installed drivers and still, NOTHING. So, what's the deal??? I guess another Bricked Radio is going back to Amazon?

On a side note. All the "cheap" radios I've bought(UV-5R, UV-82 and A36 Plus) have worked fine. So why can't manufactures make a $50+ dollar radio work as well as the sub-$30 dollar radios do??

2 answers to this question

3 hours ago, WRYC373 said:

Did you back up the firmware first? I know chirp on linux can be odd so id always back up firmware before trying to modify it. If you actually fully bricked it yeah return it to amazon.

You can't back up the firmware in CHIRP. I think you're talking about the codeplug(frequencies and settings) which have nothing to do with a firmware update. There's an entirely different program that you use to update the firmware. I'll post a link to YouTube. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3-UpeCZnsVo