Removing/replacing bent tower section

VETCOMMS

Question

I'll preface this by saying I have not gotten a close look at this tower.  However, I recently noticed an area tower approximately 50 feet tall that has a 3 element beam antenna on the top.

Said tower has twisted and bent in at least (and I think only) in one place, leaving the beam antenna resting against the tree limbs near the tower 

Has anyone encountered something similar?  How would a team of people go about repairing the bent section?  My understanding is those beam antennas can weigh between 40 - 60 pounds, if I'm not mistaken?

5 answers to this question

First question is how bad is it bent? 

If the tower is bent to the point the leg / legs buckled then you can't fix it.  It has to come down.  At that point you need to figure out the cost to get it down safely.  It's obvious that it can't be climbed in the condition it's in.  Leaving you with few options.  You didn't mention the height of the bend, the direction it's leaning, what it could fall on or what access there might be to get up to it with a bucket truck and crane. 

Give a detailed description here and pictured if you can get them be fore a real discussion can happen.

Safety first. A club member had an ID10T run off the road and hit one of the guy wires on his 70 foot tower and it tweaked the tower and guy wire mounts. He had several beam antennas on the top and it was not safe to climb the tower. He called in carne to drop the tower. Cranes can average about $200 an hour with a minimum 2 hour charge. But that is cheaper than medical bills and lost wages.

7 hours ago, WRYZ926 said:

Safety first. A club member had an ID10T run off the road and hit one of the guy wires on his 70 foot tower and it tweaked the tower and guy wire mounts. He had several beam antennas on the top and it was not safe to climb the tower. He called in carne to drop the tower. Cranes can average about $200 an hour with a minimum 2 hour charge. But that is cheaper than medical bills and lost wages.

Then he goes after the guys insurance company.  That's why people are required to have insurance.

And he gets a NEW tower, professionally installed at the guys expense. 

3 hours ago, WRKC935 said:

Then he goes after the guys insurance company.  That's why people are required to have insurance.

And he gets a NEW tower, professionally installed at the guys expense. 

And that is exactly what he did. Unfortunately the driver did not have insurance. But home owner's insurance is covering 100% of everything and will go after the driver.He is just waiting for all of the replacement stuff to arrive.