Newbie Repeater Question

Guest dale

I'm looking for two way communication in the UP of Michigan.  I was looking at getting my GMRS license.   I understand you can use repeater if open or have permission.

My question is this, can only one person transmit on a repeater at a time?

I currently have a CB in my UTV but would like to have the GMRS.  We had a subject crash with no cell signal and no CB range.  Would GMRS be an option?

If so suggestions on radios.

Thanks in advance

Dale 

Michigan

Repeater operation on GMRS frequencies is limited to one user at a time.

Due to the relatively high iron content and hilly terrain in most of the UP, we have not seen many repeaters being installed in the region. You may see a listing in the main MyGMRS website for a system in Iron Mountain, Michigan.... that system was never completed and at this time, it does not exist.

The radio that you mentioned is a possibility for simplex operation. It does not seem to be repeater capable. You would have to be within 3 to 5 miles of another similar radio OR simplex base station to be able to communicate.   You mentioned "no cell signal" and that is common in the area. The iron content in the taconite ore, especially in the Gogebic and Menominee Range 'mountains', affects radio propagation.  A group of us tested this phenomenon in 2006 and found that cell, HF, VHF and UHF signals were less likely to be heard in that area at specific distances than 50 miles south in Wisconsin, where very little iron content is present.  With GMRS signals essentially being 'line of sight', the topography and geology in the UP of Michigan can introduce additional challenges. 

Gary,

Thank you for the reply. Its been fun trying to learn about two way radios.  I am trying to do everything the correct way   Another question when looking for radios you see a lot of radios that say 25W and up.   I have an intercom on my UTV purchased at Rugged Radio and they sell two way radios also that are 25w and up.  I am guessing these are illegal to use?

Gary,

Thank you for the reply. Its been fun trying to learn about two way radios.  I am trying to do everything the correct way   Another question when looking for radios you see a lot of radios that say 25W and up.   I have an intercom on my UTV purchased at Rugged Radio and they sell two way radios also that are 25w and up.  I am guessing these are illegal to use?

GMRS rules in the US allow mobiles and bases up 50 watts for licensed users. I run a 50 watt mobile in my truck and a 25 watt unit in my RV. My portables are all commercial grade 4 watt models. You'll want to do some research on mobiles that are Part 95 approved. Lots of discussion threads on that here for the reading.

That Midland radio you are looking also is not a full 5 watts but probably 1.5 watts if even that. You are far better off purchasing a radio that can do 4 or 5 watts portable. There are also a number of discussions here on the merits of many of available handheld radios.