Wouxun KG-935G Plus vs Yaesu FT-60R, Whoa!

Webslinger

Question

I've been doing some field testing of the Wouxun KG-935G Plus x 2, a Yaesu FT-60R and an Explorer QRZ-1 (from the Gigaparts Jumpstart program). Testing simplex range for both GMRS and 2m ham bands. 

I took a KG-935G Plus and the FT-60R in the truck with me, while leaving a KG-935G Plus and the Explorer QRZ-1 with my wife at home. Hitting random locations and various distances, we found the KG-935G Plus outperformed the ham radios. Within a 4 mile range of home, the strength of Tx/Rx signals were equal, but once we got beyond that range, the GMRS HT's did better. At 6 miles, the GMRS HT's signal strength was clear and strong, while the ham HT's were choppy and scratchy. 

Both ham radios are using the Signal Stuff Signal Stick dual-band antenna, while the GMRS radios are using a Nagoya NA-771G antenna on one, and the stock Rubber Duck on the other.

I was surprised at the results. I thought the combination of Signal Stick antennas and the use of 2m simplex would give the ham radios the advantage over the GMRS radios. Obviously not. 

So, I'm confused. Is it a simple matter of the KG-935G Plus being THAT GOOD of a radio - I mean, c'mon, we're talking about the Yaesu FT-60R here - or are there issues with GMRS frequencies (70 cm band) vs. 2 meter band that I'm missing, or anything miscellaneous for that matter?

I want to buy another pair of amateur radios, dual-band likely, possibly tri-band, and I really like the Yaesu VX-6R based on reviews/videos I've watched/studied. However, if Wouxun is really rocking the simplex range on GMRS, I have to wonder if I might get the same fantastic results with a pair of Wouxun KG-Q10H Quad-band ham radios instead. 

Thoughts?

1 answer to this question

There is so much that can make one radio appear to be better than the other.  First, UHF waves travel through things (trees, building, etc.) much better than lower frequency radio waves.  Then there are other differences, such as in antennas, variations in power, etc.

The reality is, even if you had both radios with the same antenna and GMRS frequency, the Yaasu is tuned for a lower frequency.  As you start to move more and more out of the range the radio is designed and tuned for, the worse the performance will get.

I am a huge fan of both brands, but in this case, I think you discovered more of a point that you found one tool is more appropriate for the conditions than the other. Not necessarily that one is better than the other as far as design, function, sensitivity or other RF performance specs.